Water Changes based on Tests?

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
If my nitrates are low can I get away with fewer water changes? Yes, I know you need to replenish other elements but adding a "Trace" supplement can do that.

it is more than just parameters for me. I like to get rid of the old water for the health of the fish. There is so much build up of crap and other rotting things that it seems to refresh the fish to have a water change done. I like doing weekly changes just to keep the pattern up. I think it is better to prevent problems than react to them.

-Doc

I'm with Doc and James.I change at least 15 gallons a week.
You wouldnt wait untill your car had a rod knocking before changing the oil would you?

i think it is cheaper inthe long run just because you dont have to keep buying all the suplements that would be there if you changed your water all the time

Your scheduled water change is a good schedule to have.
Not only does it give the benefits described above, but it's a good time to check your fish, clean the glass, blow the crap off the rocks, etc.
I use my Sunday to "tend" to the tank with the family. Everyone loves to be involved.
It's especially fun to let my 6 year old daughter start the siphon hose with a quick suck :-) The first time she did it she was drenched!

:shock:that is why it is called preventive maintenance.:shock::chair::chair: i would rather spend 60 dollars for salt that will last six months instead of having to buy many different test kits and chemicals that could be avoided by just doing water changes once a week

You know, it's up to you. If you have a low bioload and your parameters look good, you can get by with once a month water changes. There are people in my reef club that run their tanks stocked very lightly and therefore feed very lightly and do water changes once every 4 months, and the tanks look incredible. If you have anything more than a couple fish though, I'd not recommend it. You could always try it and see what happens, like I did. I went without water changes for 6 or 7 months, only topping off for evaporation. It didn't work :(.

Back