Water changes, how often, how many gallons etc

cms

Reefing newb
I have a 90 gal tank, 6 fish, quite a few more corals than fish. For the past year, I have been doing 10 gal water changes every two, two and a half weeks. The tank is doing good, fish are healthy, but the sand is getting pretty nasty now, and I'm thinking, not just because of the sand but actually because I have read, that maybe I should do a 50% or more water change. I I think those big water changes sometimes can cause more problems than it's worth, especially, if the tank is doing good, but since I haven't done one in over a year, maybe it's time that I do one. Any suggestions?

Yeah, you either need some good sand stirrers/detritus eaters or you should siphon small sections of sand each time you do a water change. I prefer the former cause I'm lazy. :D

I would normally suggest 10% weekly or 20% biweekly for water changes.

Should be doing 10% a week

Sand can get nasty if you don't have critters to keep it clean. Look into Nassarius Snails, and or a Conch of some kind to help keep things clean

I do my water changes on my tanks every 12-14 days.
70gallon tank-15 gallons
30gallon tank-5 to 6 gallons
30gallon tank-5 to 6 gallons

each tank is stocked with a bunch of different types of hermits and snails. Except for the 30 gallon tank with my mantis, who kills them all. He doesn't realize that they're just trying to clean his tank =\

Should be doing 10% a week

Sand can get nasty if you don't have critters to keep it clean. Look into Nassarius Snails, and or a Conch of some kind to help keep things clean

Never heard of a Conch being used, what exactly are you talking about?

CUC is clean up crew, snails and crabs and starfishes.

I recommend a sand sifting goby if you have medium to fine sand they cant really do the big chunky substrate though.

I also recommend pointing multiple blowers so that nothing has time to settle.

I do 10 or 15% every week if I skip a week then I do 20% the next time I do it.

Good Info. I just changed out my water by putting 10 gallons in my 46Gallon tank. I would think that is fine since it's a bit over 20%.

Will test levels in a bit. Thanks for asking and for those that replied. it was helpful.

Chip

Back