Water changes Needed?

mmfrock

Reefing newb
Hi all,

You may have seen me on here lately. Got some alage I've been battling (cyano, green hair and flat green spots), it's not horrible but im trying to keep it under control. I've been doing most everything everyone has already suggested on here...so now my question is...how often should i do water changes?

I have been doing about 4.5 gallons every two weeks. I know everyone does different amounts and frequencies and I am just wondering if more water changes will really be my ultimate solution right now as I am still dealing with a young tank (only set up for about 3.5 months)

What do you think?

And just so everyone knows so i don't have to keep answering it ( i feel like i should put this in my signature huh? lol):

I use RO water, Pc's lights on 6 hours a day, i use carbon and phosphoguard, 2 powerheads and protein skimmer, feed frozen every other day, nitrate/nitrite/amm all 0, ph 8.0, salinity 1.024, temp 78

You should be aiming for 10% change every week. Doing this every week instead of 20% every two weeks on a young tank is probably going to be a better plan when you're fighting algae issues, which are not uncommon on new tanks. Many tanks go through a cyano issue around the 6 month mark - my tank certainly did

How old are the bulbs in your PC fixture? As MH/T5/PC bulbs age, the light they put out shifts to the red spectrum, which really helps nuisance algae grow

the bulbs are as old as the tank set up, 3 months approx. THanks, I'll try to do more water changes, i thought maybe this would help. Just wanted to see what everyone thinks :-) THank you!

Back