Water changes to lower nitrates - how frequent?

Murph

Reefing newb
So I'm pretty sure I'm cycled... I added 1 shrimp and never saw an ammonia spike, was worried that I didn't see ammonia so I added a couple more and still didn't see an ammonia spike. I've finally seen my nitrates head way up. I was getting ready to add a cuc, but I wanted to get the nitrates down first. I managed to get what was left of the shrimp out (holy smell), and did about a 30 gallon change last night. Nitrates are still around 50, maybe higher. Is it fine to just keep changing water every day, or should I wait a day or two in between changes??

It's ok to do daily water changes as long as you're mixing the water up about 24 hours in advance of the change. Quite often that's what those quickly stocked DTs you see in offices have done by their tank maintenance people.

On the other hand, I agree with Sarah. It's a bit concerning that you never saw an ammo spike during your cycle. How often were you testing the water? If it was only once or twice during the cycle, you may have missed it. How old is the kit, and what type and brand is it? Dip strips are notoriously inaccurate, and if a liquid kit is a few years old it can provide false results as well.

I actually tested daily or every other day for about 2 weeks straight. And I never saw any nitrite either. The tests are all salifert and were brand new from BRS. I had 70 lbs dry rock and about 20 or live rock and someone (maybe here, maybe RC) said that it was possible the live rock could handle the shrimp without getting a ammo spike. That was kinda why i added the additional shrimp, i thought for sure I'd see ammonia and then nitrate went sky high.

If you had LR in there, it is very well that you had enough bacteria on that rock to consume it is a short time. I would do some water changes with RO water until the nitrates are in a more acceptable level. Then you can start stocking. But go slow.

Sounds good. Once I saw the nitrates way up, i figured i'd be good to go once I got the water right. Going slow... clean up crew and a qt on the agenda next.

Back