Water changes with 100+ gal tanks

Kizmar

#derpface
My method of water changing is a bit clunky and I wanted to see how others tackle this when your dealing with large amounts of water. For me a 10% weekly change means I'm working with 12 gallons of water.

For those of you with 100+ gallon tanks, what's your system/routine for this?

For my 180g I mix up my change water in a 30 gallon (new, clean) trash can the day before, get it up to temp and on water change day I transfer it to 5 gallon buckets to add back to my tank. I do 5 buckets (25 gallons) per change so it still is quite the job. :sfish:

My process is very similar to Mike G's on my 180. That being said, I just got a hold of a MJ1200 and I'm going to see if it's got enough juice to move the water from my rubbermaid back into my tank, cause sitting there holding the return line from the mini pump while enjoying a beer would be much better than lugging 5 gallon buckets everywhere

For my 110 I fill up a rubbermaid brute can with the wheels with RO/DI water and push that to where the tank is. I then pump the water out of that container with a mj1000 (freakin slow -_-) in to a 30 gallon container where I mix the salt in using a submersible utility pump. I then pump the water out of the tank in to another identical 30 galllon container with mj, then pump the new water in.

I recently found a way to connect the utility pump to a hose so I'm going to start using that which will make the pumping time much faster.

So overall it's fairly easy...

So do you guys have a heater that you use strictly to get the new mix up to the correct temp?

Yes, and I have a few spares laying around. For some reason, the companies that make heaters have not figured out how to make one that is not prone to breaking, sticking open, or just plain being a pain in the ass. Do yourself a favor, buy one for mixing up your new water, and buy yourself a backup - you'll need them eventually

So, I have an RO system with a 3 gallon pressure tank. I've been slowly filling two 5 gallon black sealed jugs to get enough water for a tank change. Is that RO water going to stay "good" for several days as long as I'm not letting light get to it?

I have a 32 gallon (new, clean, with cover) garbage container that I'm going to use to mix, can I put the RO water in there, covered for several days safely?

Yeah, the RO water will stay good, as long as it is kept relatively free of contaminates. The cover should keep it just fine.

Having a pump of some sort really helps! I have a pump in my sump connected to a switch, and when I turn it on, it pumps water downstairs into my basement drain. Another switch turns on the mixing tank's pump which will pump it back up into the tank. I have a video of it in my build thread.

Yeah, the RO water will stay good, as long as it is kept relatively free of contaminates. The cover should keep it just fine.

Having a pump of some sort really helps! I have a pump in my sump connected to a switch, and when I turn it on, it pumps water downstairs into my basement drain. Another switch turns on the mixing tank's pump which will pump it back up into the tank. I have a video of it in my build thread.

I'd love to figure out a way to do this, as I actually have some space directly below the tank in my basement - the problem now is everything is already plumbed, up and running, I think changing it would be a nightmare

Northstar - not at all, it doesn't interfere with my sump's plumbing. I basically just drilled a small hole in the floor and ran an extension cord (to the pump in the basement so I could control it with a switch upstairs) and about 1/2" plastic tubing to-from the sump.
It's more of an "add-on" than replumbing. Very easy! If you have a holding tank in your basement, you can even add a float valve to your sump to keep it topped off.

If you have a holding tank in your basement, you can even add a float valve to your sump to keep it topped off.

Great ideas!! I have a storage room directly behind the wall where my tank is. I could easily to all this by drilling some holes and putting the holding tank the that storage room.

Yup - if you're using a top off, especially with a large storage of RODI water, you want to ensure you have a 2 stage top off (the 2nd stage is a backup in case the first one sticks) to prevent disasters.

autotopoff.com has good ones.

My tanks arent that large but I do have 2 separate tanks to do. I bought a 30g trash can also and fill it about halfway to mix my salt water (I dont do this the day before but thats just me)

I use one of those siphon tubes with the built in pump to activate to withdraw the water into 5g buckets. I dont really stir the sand or anything like. This is pretty much mess free I love it.

Then I use a 2g bucket with side handles to transfer the water from the trash can to the tanks. I usually drip some at this step so I always have plenty of towels ready and waiting.

To bad the siphon doesnt work going the other way that would freakin rock.

haha, ya i just specified maxijet because they are relatively cheap.
But any spare pump would do. Sometimes we tend to have extras laying around the garage. Might as well put one to good use. ;)

Back