Water changes with 100+ gal tanks

About that MJ1200 +

My process is very similar to Mike G's on my 180. That being said, I just got a hold of a MJ1200 and I'm going to see if it's got enough juice to move the water from my rubbermaid back into my tank, cause sitting there holding the return line from the mini pump while enjoying a beer would be much better than lugging 5 gallon buckets everywhere

This is a great thread. My tank is 90 gal and I'm a small chick. I just did a 20 gallon change today and it was a real pain. I use 7 gallon water containers and get my water 3 miles offshore. I have been looking for a pump for my water changes. Apparently I have been looking in the wrong places and found pumps in the $100 plus range. I'm not feeling the love sucking on a garden hose and getting a mouth full of poopy saltwater. I'd like to use a pump to remove the water and also to add new water. Does this MJ1200 fit a garden hose?

No, you don't want to use a garden hose for your tank. They are not food-safe.
You shouldn't drink out of one either. ;)

Just go to home depot or lowes and look for the rolls of clear tubing. You can buy it by the foot. By whatever diameter fits your pump.

I now use a 32 gallon trash bin to heat and mix the RO water, then have a small pump with 12 feet of tubing to pump from the bin to the tank.

I use two 5 gallon jugs to move water from my RO system to the trash bin and remove water from the tank, that way I know how much water I've moved to or from.

I also have 180 gal, and use the same method as mikeg. But I use a mag drie pump with 5' of tubing to empty, and refill.

I do 50 gal change. I have a large 50 gal plastic tub placed on a furniture dolly takes my r/o a day to fill i place 2 power heads and a heater in there for salt mixing. i have an all plastic sump pump that bumps back into the tank.

Back