water changes?

rdang

Reefing newb
how much should i do water changes for a ten gallon? my nitrates are at 15, no sand! :bounce: oh, i have two chromis, too many fish?

My CUC is:

4 turbo
8 blue leg hermits
2 red leg hermits
2 medium nassarius snails
1 emerald crab

Two things that PWC`s accomplish. 1) They replenish trace elements that are used for different fish, invert and coral processes. 2) They dilute excessive nutrients in your tank that end up fueling nuisance algeas. In light of those two very good reasons for PWC`s I say 25% PWC a week.

on my 12 gallon I did 1 gallon water change once a week.

Its been running for 4.5 years now and I have cut back to 2 gallons monthly, I only use the blue life ocean water for it, it really seems to help it out a ton.

My stock list:
15 - 20Ibs live rock
10 Ibs sand
2 percula clowns
1 neon goby
1 rose goby
1 pistol shrimp
maybe 1 or 2 snails
1 or 2 crabs
majano anemones
bubble anemone

on my 12 gallon I did 1 gallon water change once a week.

Its been running for 4.5 years now and I have cut back to 2 gallons monthly, I only use the blue life ocean water for it, it really seems to help it out a ton.

My stock list:
15 - 20Ibs live rock
10 Ibs sand
2 percula clowns
1 neon goby
1 rose goby
1 pistol shrimp
maybe 1 or 2 snails
1 or 2 crabs
majano anemones
bubble anemone

you dont need more than 2 crabs and 2 snails?

I say 8.3 gallons a week..... (ROFL, Just Kidding)

+1 to everybody. 1-2 Gal a week. Maybe closer to 2 since your load is slightly higher than most running 10 gal.

you dont need more than 2 crabs and 2 snails?

My tank has been running now for 5years next week, I hardly grow any algae in there. and I feed very little. The older and more mature you tank becomes the more stable it will become.

I think when I first started it I probably had 2-3 turbos and 4-5 crabs but never any more then that.

I was changing 2.5g a week in my 10g tank. Right now I'm doing 2 changes a week in an attempt to get rid of some algae. I will cut back to 2.5g per week when the algae is gone.

I do 10% 3-4 times weekly..Basically I have two jugs..one for water changes and one for top off. When the top off starts to run low, I mix up the extra 5g. When it's out, I do a water change then go buy 10g worth of water.

Not sure if that's excessive or not..I kinda jumped into some of this stuff, a little too early, hopefully my efforts will help things progress. I will say that it sure does suck having to go buy water every few days. :)

:shock: According to that article, the larger the percentage of water changed, the faster Nitrates go down :shock:...Why didn't anyone tell us about this magical solution

:12: Where's the "sarcasm" emoticon? I think we should take this guy: :HELP!:, and have his sign read "sarcasm" instead of help :lol:

Lessons in life: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" & "Rules were made to be broken"...Essentially, if you're nitrates decrease when you do water changes at a rate that is both comfortable and convenient for you...continue what you're doing...If they rise inspite of your water changes, increase the percentage or the frequency...if they still increase, look into other avenues (i.e. vodka dosing). Most importantly, remember to relax, take a deep breath, don't do anything dramatic because excessive water changes are bad too. Oh ya, and learn from your mistakes :mrgreen:.

Back