Water Changes

I generally do it twice a month but have been experimenting lately with once a week since I got my Anthias.

It just really depends on several factors like: nutrient import, trace elements being used up, bioload, nitrates, etc...

Twice a month is a good starting point, IMO.

My 57 rimless gets 5g/ week, the wife's 130l nano gets 5g every 10 days. Once the denitrators are cycled, I'll go back to once a month changes.

I do 30 gal. about every 2 wks. And every 3-4 months I do a big change about 50 or 60 gal. in my 265 gal reef tank. I have 5 tangs about 5" long and probably 30 small fish, as well as 3 mandarins, 300lbs live rock 2" sand and all kinds of coral and an anemone and clarki's. hang on the back 24" refuge keeps the mandarins happy and my water changes seem to keep everything else happy. tank has been running like this for over a year. So far so good. I change 5 gal in my 35 gal QT once a month when its empty of fish. Once a week when I have a fish in there.

Last edited:
I do 30 gal. about every 2 wks. And every 3-4 months I do a big change about 50 or 60 gal. in my 265 gal reef tank. I have 5 tangs about 5" long and probably 30 small fish, as well as 3 mandarins, 300lbs live rock 2" sand and all kinds of coral and an anemone and clarki's. hang on the back 24" refuge keeps the mandarins happy and my water changes seem to keep everything else happy. tank has been running like this for over a year. So far so good. I change 5 gal in my 35 gal QT once a month when its empty of fish. Once a week when I have a fish in there.
your tank must look really nice

Ya, I'm real proud of it. After a couple of real screw ups, i started to figure it out. Unfortunatly i am just learning how to use a computer and i dont know how to post photos on it yet. I will admit though, i have a heavy load of fish. Mine you, every thing i have is small except for my tangs. All 12 of my zebra dartfish combined dont make up the mass of my striated bristletooth[ biggest fish i have at 6" tip to tip ] so maybe its not so bad.

Ya, I'm real proud of it. After a couple of real screw ups, i started to figure it out. Unfortunatly i am just learning how to use a computer and i dont know how to post photos on it yet. I will admit though, i have a heavy load of fish. Mine you, every thing i have is small except for my tangs. All 12 of my zebra dartfish combined dont make up the mass of my striated bristletooth[ biggest fish i have at 6" tip to tip ] so maybe its not so bad.
learn thatcomputer lets see a picture!

I am a new bee to this , I had went on a trip and when i can back my pump was burn out in my sump, with in the time i was gone all my fish die, it was just a few damsels. I let my brother have it cause he was house sitting. He brought me a new filter and skimmer. So I was going to do a 100% water change. The pet shop near me said I didn't have to cause its fish only. what should i do?

For fish only do i need a tap water filter to do water changes ( remember i am a newbee sorry for the dum question a lot of saltwater fish are expensive). One thing i know the water have to be right.

Back