Water Changes

How long does it take to do a water change on a 190 to 250 g tank? What is your proceedures? On my little 60 gal I just siphon 7g out w/a thick tube and slowly pour my prepared water back in. I make sure my clean water is @ a similar temp though. I can't imagine doing a 200g tank.

How long does it take to do a water change on a 190 to 250 g tank? What is your proceedures? On my little 60 gal I just siphon 7g out w/a thick tube and slowly pour my prepared water back in. I make sure my clean water is @ a similar temp though. I can't imagine doing a 200g tank.

A lot of people with large tanks use a pump to drain and fill again. It should'nt take very long since your water should be pre-mixed, though.

As you ca tell water changes are a matter of the amount of time you really want to put into the changes and your water chemistry. I think a good start is to do a 10% at least once a week, that is what most book recommend these days. I do a 3% change every day and have great water chemistry. I think that small changes on a regular basis make the chemistry inside the tank more stable for the organisms inside the tank, but certainly weekly or even twice monthly will work.

I am a new bee to this , I had went on a trip and when i can back my pump was burn out in my sump, with in the time i was gone all my fish die, it was just a few damsels. I let my brother have it cause he was house sitting. He brought me a new filter and skimmer. So I was going to do a 100% water change. The pet shop near me said I didn't have to cause its fish only. what should i do?
Dave, I don't know how big your system is, but if your fish sat in the tank long enough to completely rot then I would change all of the water. Do you have live rock. Did your invertebrate life eat the dead fish, or did your brother take them out fairly soon. This all has an effect on the water. If the fish rotted then change lots, if they got eaten or removed then its not such a big deal. I would still do a decent water change but it won't be so bad. My tank is really big and I use R O water. [compete tank meltdown using tap water when i just started]. Unless the fish is one of my bigger ones, it would get eaten before I realized it was dead. If this was my system, I would do a moderate water change. Put your new skimmer and filter on and let it run. Break in the skimmer and filter, for a couple of wks, Do a water change every wk. After a couple wks, and a couple water changes, if your skimmer is doing its job, then start with restocking. Don"t be in a hurry and don't start with $$fish. It really hurts when you lose one you paid 2 or 3 hundred for, specially when its your own stupidity that kills it.

Last edited:
I don't recomend this way but this is how i do mine and it works for me.- syphon hose 6 to 8 five gal buckets out. However much i am taking out i have on hand with ro water. because the 5 gal buckets are so heavy when full and i have to lift them up to 5 ft, i dump 2.5 gal in fresh in the bucket then right in the tank. i mix the salt with the other 2.5 gal, let it sit for 10-20 min stirring ocassionaly, then in it goes. continue till proper amount of water and salt goes in. i don't adjust for temp either. i would not do this with a small tank though. mine is 265 gal. with a lot of curculation . usually only drops by one degree.i have never had anything shock or close up, but i am careful to never dump on top of anything. and yes i can hear all the gasps of shock With water change cleaning filter pump and skimmer and sucking any thing of the bottom i want to remove maybe an hr.

Every 4-6 weeks I mix the 250 liters needed for change the day before, bring to correct salinity & temp. I use a very large pump to remove old water and then use same pump to put back in, takes about 20 mins for the change.

Back