Reefing newb
The following test results came after a weekly 20% water change on 10/18:

Specific Gravity: 1.026
pH: 8.2
Phosphates: .25
Ammonia: 0
Nitrates: 15
Nitrites: 0

Knowing when test results are within "normal parameters" isn't enough. I'd like to understand what these results mean.

As an example, why my Nitrates are at 15, just 4 days after a water change means something. What should I take away from that test result?

I'd like to know if anyone can direct me to sites/documentation/literature on water chemistry. I obsess over my water quality and test, probably more than necessary. But if I don't know what the results mean, how can I know what corrective action to take?

Thanks in advance.

Nick

What is a Carbonate test? Is that the same as alkaline?

Also... I'm definitely guilty of overfeeding, which if I understand correctly, causes nitrates to elevate. How do you avoid overfeeding? How much is enough? How much isn't?

I also understand that flake food is a huge source of nitrates. Is this true? I plan on going exclusively with frozen foods. Will this help?

Last edited:
Flake food is a huge source of phosphates, frozen and live foods help to keep them out of our systems. Over feeding is a huge source of nitrates and it doesn't matter what you are feeding.
I try to feed only what the fish can consume before sinking to the bottom. If the food hits the bottom I feed a little less and or less often.

Back