water clarity problems

toby

Reefing newb
i am having issues with my water being cloudy, i did a 20%water change 2 weeks ago and added a backpack protien skimmer/bio filter combo, still didnt help. last week i added a mechanical filter and 2 seperate doses of water clarifer and it is still not clearing up any suggestion on what to do?

What kind of water are you using(r/o or tap) and how are you mixing your saltwater up? And also, do you have any powerheads blowing your sand around?

don't use water clarifiers... that will screw up your skimmer.

outside the above suggestions, you can also run polishing pads. I have a fluval external filter (meant for fresh water tanks) that I use to run carbon and polishing pads every now and again. This will remove fine particulates from the water... but don't leave them on for more than a day or two, as they'll become nitrate traps.

i am using tap water, but when i get home i will do a water change with RO water. I have 2 powerheads running and cut back the flow to a bare minimum and i didnt see any sand being moved around, and yes i am using a fine sand.

might also be a bacterial bloom, especially if you're using tap water. move to DI water only and you'll see a vast improvement in water quality and stability

Back