Water current in tank

leon1972

Reefing newb
I just recently learned I don't have enough current / flow of water. I have one jet on one end that came with the tank. I now know I should have at least two water pumps for it. One in front of the live rock on one end and one behind it on the other end to cause circulation around the live rock. How do I determine the strength of wake makers and their placement? How do I know if I need more than just these two?

Their strength is determined by how many gallons per hour they produce. You want to turn over your tanks volume at least 20X's. So for 75 gal you will want powerheads that will produce at least 1,500 gal per hour output. You can go with even more if you want, like 30x or even 40x but it's not as important in a fowler.

Well, i am going to start putting in corals As soon as my water parameters are good so I think I'll go with 40 x turnover. Prepare for the future so I don't have to spend more money later. What are some good brands?

if you want to keep costs lower Koralias are a good choice, if not then I would look into vortachs or tunze...

You want at least 20x turnover, but you also want random flow. Flow from most powerheads is static (meaning it does not change)

I would look into either some sort of wave maker setup, or some of the prop pumps that randomize their flow (like Vortech's or Polarios)

You want at least 20x turnover, but you also want random flow. Flow from most powerheads is static (meaning it does not change)

I would look into either some sort of wave maker setup, or some of the prop pumps that randomize their flow (like Vortech's or Polarios)

Don't I want a constant flow for those two though? Something that will keep the water rotating around the bottom of the tank around the Lr so the water doesn't sit and get stagnant and the detritus can make its say back up to the filters?

Also, do I want the total gpd between all my pumps o be 40x or does each pump need to be tated at 40x turnover?

For example can I have 3 1000gph pumps or should they all be 3000 gpd?

You want the total turnover to be 20x-40x your tank volume, not each pump

And no, I will never set up a system again that has static flow, you want the flow pattern to be constantly changing. I noticed in incredible difference in my fish and corals when i went from static flow to changing, random flow

Companies like Red Sea and Hydor make wavemakers, which are little boxes you plug static flow powerheads into - they have various programs for cycling the powerheads on and off

A better option (depending on your budget) would be something like the EcoTech Vortech Prop pumps

You can also look at the mini Polario's - I have a 7M on the back wall of my tank behind the rocks

Well I think I'm going to buy 3 1000 gpd for now. 2 making water circle the bottom of the tank then I'll see how the water flow is for the third

Invest in a vortec. you will be extremely happy you did

VorTech MP10ES Propeller Pump | ThatPetPlace.com

random flow doesn't mean non constant flow, it means it varries, in the ocean currents change, they are strong at some points, and weak at others. Tide swells have a lot to do with this, thus waves. A wave maker replicates the ocean as much as possible, and imho vortec does the best job. (Not to mention the 2-4" signature)

ok here's the thing... you don't need 3 vortecs... just one mp40 would easily do a 75 gallon. you can get a used mp40, or an older one on ebay for way less than 700$... they're new at like 450.

I had 3 of those hydor koralia pumps in my tank before i went to the vortech, and they are ok pumps but they are dispersed, so the water movement doesn't travel very far. Also they tend to spin backwards when they go from off to on, and that wave maker just cuts the electric current. so your going to wind up with pumps that are sucking stuff in alot of the time. that can be dangerous as the front isn't as protected as the backside.

I realize that 450$ is a lot of money to spend on a water pump, but it is one of the most crucial parts to a tank... you can get by if you skimp on other things, but if you plan on keeping healthy happy coral, you gotta have happy water. It'll pay off in the long run to take your time and buy great equipment, it's something i've regretted ever sense i started this hobby, and I wind up spending more money because i tried to skimp.

Its not a matter of skimping. its a matter of cant afford. a matter of 5 months for one of those pumps. besides, i need multiple pumps. one pump will not be enough from what ive been told. regardless of what size i go with i need multiple pumps.

Its not a matter of skimping. its a matter of cant afford. a matter of 5 months for one of those pumps. besides, i need multiple pumps. one pump will not be enough from what ive been told. regardless of what size i go with i need multiple pumps.

I thought this same exact thing, and I also went through about 6 Koralia's due to them spinning backwards and other various problems

I think you could get away with a pair of MP10's in a 75 as long as the magnets will work on the glass for a 75. It may be more expensive - but trust me, you'll come to the same conclusion yourself eventually - especially if you use the 1050's on a wavemaker (they were not really made to be cycled on and off, which leads to a shorter pump life)

I see you're in Chicago - when you have some time take a trip up to Midwest Coral Farms, they run the Vortechs on their tanks and you'll see the WALL of water they move. That and MCF is simply an amazing place, if it were closer I'd be bankrupt

there has to be something in between those two. i cant afford top of the line. theres always a cheapo, a mid grade and a top of the line.I cant afford top of the line. whats the mid grade?

I've read the revies on the koralias and I grea. I will not go with them but there must be something affordable? I'm looking at reviews on the jbj oceanstream line right now. Any experience with those?

Ok despite the brand I go with my question wasn't really answered. Im envisioning two pumps at the bottom. One on the left wall of the tank in the front of my Lr and one on the right wall behind my live rock. Is a wave maker really necessary for these two? It just seems these two are for circulation and won't really do much in the way of waves

Back