Water Flow ??

RAYRAY

Tiny Tank Club A+ Member
Now That I Removed My Emperor 280 And Added The Coralife 65 SuperSkimmer , I Am Worried That I Do Not Have Enough Water Flow. I Have A Powersweep 214 On The Back Panel Half Way Down Sweeping Towards The Middle Of My Rock Tower. Then I Have A Maxi 400 At The Top Breaking The Water. I Noticed Since I Removed The Emperor That There Is More Particles Or Detris On My Rocks. Should I Upgrade One Powerhead To Get More Flow ??? Maybe The Powersweep To A 228 ? Any Opinions?

Last edited:
Sure,get another powerhead but not another Powersweep.Those things are huge and don't push that much water considering how big they are.I say a MJ900 or Koralia 2.

Thanks Reef , I Was Just Looking At The Koralia's... Maybe Instead Of Adding Another I Will Just Replace The Pwersweep With A Maxi Or Koralia..... Thanks Guys

A couple Koralias pointing towards the front would make a world of difference and should keep everything happy.

Thanks Mccrary, But I Have An Oddball Tank "hex" Hate It But Love It At The Same Time . I Od Have One On The Back Panel And One On The Surface But Not Enough Flow... I Am Leaning Towards The Koralia To Replace My Powersweep 214.

after doing some research i realize that i have no where near the amount of flow that I should have. 10 to 20 x's 35 gallons is at least 350 gph. i have 104 from the maxi 400 and 160 from the powersweep 214 for a total of 264. so off to the LFS i go to pick up a koralia 1 to replace the powersweep for a total of 504 gph = much happier. BUT will the skimmer be able to suck in all the crap that will be blown around when i add the new powerhead ???????

It'll get as much as the emperor would.You've got to get enough flow to keep the gunk suspended long enough for the skimmer to pick it up.
Keep this in mind:
As long your sand stays on the bottom,you dont have to much flow.

well just got home from the store with the koralia 1 which is rated at 400 gph so together with the maxi400 I should be good....

I just got a koraliai 2 (won it in the raffle at the swap) Oh yeah very excited about that one.LOL Anyway it is a nice powerhead, however, since your tank is a hex if it is narrow I would go with something else. The reason being is the koralias are big pumps, alot bigger than I thought they would be anyway. My #2 is probably 3 1/2 inches wide and about 5 inches long.

yeah, i looked at them all and the # 1 fits pretty good on the back panel under the skimmer pump. the #2 was crazy big !!!

If your using some type of surface skimmer to feed your skimmer than your circulation should not matter unless you supply super turbulence at your water surface. Dissolved organic compounds are drawn to the water air interface, and the dissolved organic compounds are your chief target for your skimmer. The particulates if kept in circulation will either eventually make it to the surface and be skimmed off or will breakdown into dissolved organic compounds and be attracted to the surface and then skimmed off. If your not using a surface skimmer to feed your skimmer you have to have to depend more on repetitious cycling of tank water through your skimmer rather than concentrated skimmings.

If your using some type of surface skimmer to feed your skimmer than your circulation should not matter unless you supply super turbulence at your water surface.

FATMAN,
I KEEP THINKING ABOUT THIS ....... HOW CAN THIS BE DONE ???? I GUESS ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE SKIMMER IN A SUMP RIGHT????
ANY INFO YOU COULD GIVE ME WOULD BE A GREAT HELP ON THIS TOPIC

THANK YOU IN ADVANCED !!!!:Cheers:

I Guess This Was Kinda A Silly Question Since My Skimmer Is A Hob And Takes Water In Right From The Tank Anyway Huh !!! Sorry About That.

yes.... I have a 72 bowfront in mind.....LFS has one for 169.00
i have a 10 gallon tank I could use for the sump. and go from there !!!

When I speak of a surface skimmer I am referring to an overflow box that is typically notched that draws water from just the surface of a tank and not from below the surface. Typically what ones sees when looking at an over the top overflow taht feeds a skimmer. Some hang on back skimmers are faulty in design in that they are fed by pumps that feed from below the water surface. A better design for most hang on back skimmers is to incorporate a skimmer box and to put their pump feeding the skmmer in the overflow box. This would ensure that the nutrientrich water at the air water interface is sent directly to the skimmer, not highly diluted water from below the surface. By putting in a surface skimming overflow to feed your sump and then hanging that HOB skimmer on the sump you are feeding the nutrient rich water to the skimmer as you shoulb be.

Back