Water is smelling moldy?????

d1schertz

Reefing newb
Just as it states. I just started up the tank. I added new live rock last week (Monday) and it smells like moldy water. The ammonia level just read zero yesterday and no other levels of anything are showing. The tank has been running a total of about 3 weeks. Skimmer is producing junk but water is still smelling moldy(musty). I am not running any charcoal or anything yet. Any ideas????

Your water shouldn't smell. I would check your test kit to make sure it isn't expired. I would also test for phosphates, and clear off any black matter on your LR as that could easily be producing your problem. 3 weeks in could be time to start doing water changes to help the problem too.

I like to run carbon in my systems. When I have not run carbon I always get a "smell" from the tank. I dont like that. There are people that claim that running carbon all the time is bad but there is no documented proof of any harmful effects and there are lots of studies that show it is a benefit. For one carbon absorbs total dissolved solids from the water (TDS) something that as a reef keeper you want to have limited. Carbon also removes smells and any toxic elements from the water. I am not sure what type of filtration you are using but if I where you I would add a bag of carbon somewhere in it...

Welcome to the site btw...

I like to run carbon in my systems. When I have not run carbon I always get a "smell" from the tank. I dont like that. There are people that claim that running carbon all the time is bad but there is no documented proof of any harmful effects and there are lots of studies that show it is a benefit. For one carbon absorbs total dissolved solids from the water (TDS) something that as a reef keeper you want to have limited. Carbon also removes smells and any toxic elements from the water. I am not sure what type of filtration you are using but if I where you I would add a bag of carbon somewhere in it...

Welcome to the site btw...
Yea, people say bubble wrap popping is dangerous, i stay away from that stuff too. To many sharp edges!

:D

I am going to try some carbon in my skimmer return. I am only running a skimmer on this setup. I had a bio-wheel filter on my 55, and could never keep the nitrates where I wanted them. My 55 never smelled moldy though.

The wheel part of the bio wheel became a nitrate factory. I run a hob filter on my 45 along with a sump refugium underneath. The hob filter is just for carbon, flow and a nice ripple on the top. If you decide to run a hob filter get rid of any of the bio stuff and change the carbon weekly. My tests are always 0

Might have been part of cycling rock ??????? not sure though. I pulled out an old filter and am running just carbon through it and seems to be getting better.

Back