Water Loss and Salt Too?

Rcpilot

Reef enthusiast
I am used to topping off with RO water. I get a litte evap. everyday, just like everybody else. But, if I do that, my salinity gradually gets lower and lower during the week. I'm doing weekly water changes, so it doesn't get too far out of hand, but it does get lower if I just add RO to top off. I am trying to keep my tank around 1.024 and 1.026. I used to keep it lower, but have been trying to creep it up so that it's more like natural sea water conditions. If I start the week off at 1.026 and top off everyday, I'll end up at about 1.023 by Saturday night. (I change water on Sunday)

I put a piece of tape on the back of my tank. That's my "Fill er up to here." mark. I top off EXACTLY to that mark with all powerheads off. That's where I fill too when doing water changes.

I can't understand where I am loosing salt. I skim heavy and wet. I dump my cup every other day. It has a capacity of about 2 cups (16oz). I was wondering if it would skim out salt too. If I'm skimming a lot of water/gunk (a cup a day) will that remove salt along with the water?

Time for a new hydrometer? :shock:

Your right Rc.
Every time you empty the cup on your skimmer your loosing a little bit of salt.But you shouldnt be loosing that much.

Maybe its time to trash that hydrometer and get a refractometer.:D

I go through the same thing.I loose 90% freshwater from evaporations and 10% saltwater from salt creep and emptying out the skimmer cup.

Thought I was going nuts.

Thanks guys. It might not be that bad, but I do notice it. It doesn't take a lot to change the salinity in this tank though. That's my biggest pain in the butt problem. It's so dry in Colorado, and it got chilly, so my furnace is coming on a lot more. That dries the air out. I cranked my skimmer down a bit to produce a drier foam. Maybe that will help.

yup, that salt creep takes out your salt. just another headache for the hobby!!!

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Yeah I'm noticing too. Lots of unexpected upkeep, but its WELL worth it! Today i checked my salinity again, did yesterday after the big overflow issue all over my nasty 70's orange carpet and my salinity looked ok after refilling it with the saltwater I had mixed and some fresh water to make up the difference, today it was really low. Well relatively low, it was right about where the LFS owner says it should be (around 1.021) which seemed really low after hearing what some ppl keep theirs at, Ill slowly increase it with my new water when i start water changes, ill just get my 10% water change water up to about 1.028 and let it gradually increase to a normal level...

some LFS's keep theirs low to fight off parasites. it looks like yours is one of them. just make sure to drip acclimate everything and it should not really be of any concern.

you could also top off a couple times per week with fresh saltwater instead of freshwater, to keep the salinity in the right range.

My salinity stays pretty stable for the most part.It'll drop from 35PPT to 34 or 33 PPT in a weeks time.But I change at least 10 gallons a week,so thats not too bad.

Back