Water movement at night time

WWS

Reefing newb
I was just curious if at night while most marine life is resting especially fish, do you turn off you power heads so the fish dont get stuck against the intake? I was just wondering if its nessessary. I will still have flow from the main water return into the tank this should be enough for night time.

does the ocean calm more at night than in the day?

if you turn off the power heads off the red algea will carry your tank off keep the power heads on all the time .... learn the hard way

I don't bother with it.You can set one or more powerheads on timers so there will be less flow at night.They make wavemakers/controllers that constantly change the flow.They can also be use to reduce flow at night and during feeding.

Unless your fish are dead or dying, the powerhead will not harm them. I have seen my clown get a bit too close and start to get sucked toward it, but then simply change direction and swim away. If you find a fish stuck to your powerhead, best guess is that it died before and floated around and got stuck

BTW, Keep your current steady 24/7. Biff is right, again.....:bowdown:

-Dr Marco :sfish:

well, this is where my oppinion differs with everyone else's. i do believe the ocean does calm down at night. it would be a good way to similate natural inviroments if the tank was calmer at night. i don't go through the hassles of turning powerheads off at night though. but, one of these days when i can afford a good controler, i will set it to be calmer at night.

The ocean does not calm down at night. There are just as many storms during the day as there are during the night. In fact, most storms in the ocean last through several days and nights.

In general,the seas are calmer at night.Wind,ocean currents(cold and hot),and even the gravitational pull of the moon effects the currents in the ocean.Without the sun,less difference in cold and hot so the wind and ocean currents slows.Why would they sell controllers for less current at night.I tell you why,to simulate the natural reef.I watch to much of the Science and Discovery channel.

...Except. That water has such a high heat capacity that its temperature does not change from day to night. Therefore, ocean currents do not change. :D.

The currents may not change.But the effects of the tides sure do.Which on a lot of reefs will actually cause different currents between high and low tide.

Back