Water Parameters?

SigEpLucas

Nano Reefer
As of Day 6 here are my water parameters.
Temperature = 77
PH = 7.8
Ammonia = 8.0 ppm
Nitrite = 1.5 ppm
Nitrate = 20 ppm
Salinity = 1.0235

I was wondering if maybe I introduced too much ammonia, I thought that as the nitrite came up the ammonia should go down to zero, and then the nitrate would start to come up as the nitrite went down. My ammonia is still going up but so are the nitrite and the nitrate. Normal?

Also my ph was at 8.0 for a couple days and now seems to gradually be going down...any ideas on this?

My water is from a water dispenser at the grocery store that uses a 5 stage water filtration with reverse osmosis and they have a maintenance sheet that displays filter changes and I got my water the day after the filter was changed, and I'm using Instant Ocean Salt Mix.

What your seeing is normal.The higher the ammonia,the longer its going to take to cycle.Nitrites got build enough to take care of the ammonia,then the same for nitrates.Go a head and pull that rotten shrimp out too.
The PH is dropping because ammonia is acidic.Plus the rotten shrimp is releasing carbon dioxide as its decaying,which also lowers PH.
For right now,just pull the rotten shrimp out,keep the tank topped off,test often,and ride it out:D You well on your way to an awesome reef tank.

I know we have debated this here many times.I would do what Yote suggested and do daily waterchanges.It may prolong the cycle but that to me is unusually high ammonia.I'm not sure anything beneficial that came with the live rock will survive.(ie copepods,bristleworms,etc.)

It's up to you.

I never put a shrimp or anything like that in my tanks and had a cycle. Just keep checking your stuff and you will be fine. Remember the best thing in this hobby is Patience.

thanks piggy, I was starting to think for a minute that I was the only one who tried to do it like that...I'm sure it'll be fine too I just wasn't sure...I just hope the ammonia drops before it kills anything I could have in there...

Back