Water problem need Help

zippyjr123

Reefing newb
Hi everyone.
I checked my water yesterday and did a 10% water change, but it hasn't changed anything. I'm not sure what to do. I checked to see if anything died in there but all is well.
Here is the water results:
Ammonia = 0ppm
Nitrite=0.25
Nitrate=80
ph=8.2
Calcium=480
and today there still the same, any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Rose

Rose
Have you added anything new? Like maybe a new fish or some rock?
What and how much are you feeding? Have you changed out your filter media?
From your nitrite level,either you got a bad test kit,or you going through another cycle.
I would start with a major water change,30 to 50%.Either change out the media in your canisters,or just run them without it.
Give us a complete run down on your paremeters.The more info the better.

I was going to suggest checking your new water, but if you have nitrite then something has happened in the tank like yote has said.

ya i would clean all filters/powerheads and do a massive waterchange as yote suggested.
I pulled this off SeaHorse Aquarium Supply
WHY LARGER WATER CHANGES
When it comes to do a water change, 1 large change per month is much more effective than many smaller changes over a month's time. The temperature doesn't need to be the same - plus or minus 15 degrees is fine. Salt concentration plus or minus 0.002 is fine also. Use the opportunity to adjust your salt level in the tank. If your tank is lower than you want, add slightly more salty new water. The logic is like this:
Let's say we have a 100 gallon tank and there are 100 nitrates to be removed. If you change 10 gallons you remove 10 nitrates. Adding new water dilutes the nitrates and there are 90 left. Changing 10 more gallons removes 9 nitrates. the next 10 gallon change removes 8.1 nitrates. 3 water changes removes 27.1 nitrates.
Now do a 50 gallon change. 50 nitrates are gone. Replace with new water and do another 50 gallon change which removes 25 nitrates. 2 water changes removes 75 nitrates. Get the idea.

I'm going to take a water sample to the lfs tomorrow,after I get out of work. I think I'm going to pick up an extra test kit while I'm there. And more water, I didn't get a ro/di unit yet.

Rose,
When you get a chance,mix up enough water to test,just like your mixing for a water change and run a complete test on it.Test it for everything.

I tested the nitrates and the nitrites they came out fine. I did not test for the other
stuff, I'll test it. Going to do another water change. Need to get water. Didn't get a Ro/DI unit yet :( By the time I was able to leave work the lfs was closed.

Back