water problems

Please give us some more info. What are your water parameters (pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, temperature, alkalinity, etc...). What additives do you put in the water? What kind of water do you use? How many and what kind of animals do you have in the tank? Is there anything else different besides cloudiness?

hello and thanks for taking the time to help me out.
water temp. 73
salt 1.024
ph 8.5
alkalinity is high
ammonia is at 1.0
nitrite is at .5
nitrate is at 50
I have a red sea skimmer pro delux and a fluval 404 and i have a 75 gal.
i just added some live rock from my brothers tank. his tank trashed. he tolk all the live figi rocks and put it in hot water at his house and brushed it out. then i but it in the tank. but that was about 4 days ago. I know thats not something i should do, but my brother need some help, so I helped. If i know that that would have did that to my tank. I wouldn't have done it. I'm Trying to build up my tank, but it takes time for me. and i think my brother told me a lie, and saying it wouldn't do nothing to my tank.
so if there is anyone that can help me out please. I need help I just start with my 75 gal and i need some cpr to my tank.

Well you are right your tank does need some CPR right now. What is in the tank as far as livestock. I would start with a couple lager water changes if you have any fish or anything live in the tank. If all you have in the tank is LR the waterchanges are not a critical. Your tank is cycling right now, how long has the tank been set up? What is in the tank? What else have you done?

well my tank is set up for about 8 mouths now. I have fish and some plans in side now i have a fatherduster ( worm ) some Mushrooms and a Plant that i for got the name of it. its not alot but is some money i put into it. i have live sand on the bottom.

Dont know how the srooms and featherduster will do with your tank cycling,but your plant will probably be alright. for the fish,I'd get them in a QT is at all possible and start doing extra large water changes every day at least untill you get it back under control

Bring your temperature up to at least 76 to 78 degrees. 76 is the very bottom. you stated 73. after your temperature is corrected take another set of tests and tell us what you have.

The reason John is saying get the temp up first is that all the tests are not very accurate when the water is not within a certain range usually 1 or so degrees above or below 78. Also what have you done recently to start another cycle? If the tank has been up and running for 8 months then it would be something recent that has changed to start a new cycle. Also when adjusting the temp do not do this quickly, 1 degree per 24 hours.

Back