Water quality

LuvMyPiggies

Reefing newb
I posted recently about an ammonia spike in my new saltwater setup. I had fish in it right from the day it was set up due to the tank being given to me with the fish. I was concerned about my fish and did end up losing some as I couldn't find someone to hold them for me until the tank cycled. I got lucky and was finally able to remove what was left in my tank until I solve the issues with my tank. All of my levels are normal except the ammonia. Now that I have no fish left in the tank, how can I lower the ammonia while still allowing the tank to cycle?

Thank you.

You just have to wait. Your tank is still cycling, and it can take several weeks (even months in extreme cases) to finish. Because you had fish in there, it shot your ammonia up really high, and it may take a while for the bacterial population in your tank to grow large enough to handle all that ammonia. Only when ammonia and nitrite are both at zero is it safe to add a fish, and then your cycle is finished.

Biffs right.
You could do a water change to lower the ammonia,but that will cause the cycle to drag out longer.Just let it run it course and finish cycling.

you can wait to let the cycle run on its own or speed it up slightly by putting a single fish in like a damsel to get the filter working faster by building up bacteria more quickly

no fish that will only kill the fish with ammonia at 8ppm. there is no need to cycle a tank with live fish anymore. there are many other ways around it.

Back