Water smells musty

chiqui bb

Reefing newb
My water smells musty and I don't know why. I do regular water changes with RO and all other parameters are okay. The only change to my tank is the addition of caulerpa plants recently. Could this be the cause?

Could be a dead snail. I put 7 nassarius snails (1 big, 6 small) in about a month ago. I routinely see 5 of them when I feed the fish and I know the biggest one is in the sand (never comes out but still alive). So 1 is missing. If it is the snail, the only way of finding it is to poke around in the sand bed and I worry about creating a mini cycle. Is it okay to just let the cuc take care of it?

I doubt it, my crab kills snails all the time...never stunk till I was dumb enough to leave one in the trash for a few days before I let my crab "clean out" the shell entirely...NOW THAT STUNK!

Cleaned the skimmer & cup over the weekend and use carbon regularly. I can't imagine it's one little snail, besides, it's not a "dead" smell, just like a musty basement. I'm leaning towards increasing the water flow and changing the carbon.

1) Take a flashlight and look carefully under and around the stand for anything wet and moldy. A flashlight is one of the most useful tools for my tank.

2) Test for nitrates and phosphates.

Mystery solved. I adjusted the position (not the bubble flow) of the skimmer last night and this morning the musty smell is gone. I must have moved it at some point and not noticed. The cylinder and the uptake tube were not exactly parallel but once I corrected this the skimmer seemed to be working better. Geez, I didn't realize the unit was so sensitive!

Skimmers can be a pain in the butt! They're one of those "can't live with them, can't live without them" things. Glad you solved your problem.

Back