Water test for reef tank

assafelbaz

Reefing newb
Hi.

I have the test master kit with only Ammonnia, Nitrite, Nitrate and PH tests.
Do i need to get more tests to keep the reef more healthy? I mean, just the important tests.

Thanks.

Water changes depending on time or on tests? For now i am doing once a week, but not because of my levels, they are 0 (PH is 8.0), i am doing it since i had the Red Slime issue.

Now my tanks are clean, very. After I did the last sand cleaning, and i also changed my salt to Instant Ocean it helped a lot. I also added the sump that i have now and a fire shrimp together with 2 hermit crabs and 4 snails (Nassarius).

Should i keep the once a week WC or go by testing?

i would get a calcuim test a mag test and a alk test. i like salfert test kits myself. but until you start getting more coral in your tank you wont need them. and i would keep doing weekly water changes

As ya get more corals you will need to test for calcium and magnesium...I also test for iodine because my eel had an issue with swollen thyroid gland

OK, i will keep doing WC once a week, and i will order the tests for Calcium, Magnesium, Alkaline and Iodine, just to have it for future help. I noticed that people that got issues in the way had to test these things.

Thank you all.

OK, i will keep doing WC once a week, and i will order the tests for Calcium, Magnesium, Alkaline and Iodine, just to have it for future help. I noticed that people that got issues in the way had to test these things.

Thank you all.

I think it really depends on what type of corals you intend to keep. If you are mostly keeping soft corals, then calcium, etc., isn't as big of a deal as it is for SPS and LPS. Also I'm not sure but the test kits may have a shelf-life, so I'd recommend waiting to buy them until you actually need them based on the corals you have.

OK, you are right. I didn't think about the shelf life.
About the coral types i'm not sure, i will try to have the nicest once, whatever they are. :D

I think it really depends on what type of corals you intend to keep. If you are mostly keeping soft corals, then calcium, etc., isn't as big of a deal as it is for SPS and LPS. Also I'm not sure but the test kits may have a shelf-life, so I'd recommend waiting to buy them until you actually need them based on the corals you have.

I agree, if you have little to no corals in your tank don't worry about testing/dosing just keep up with your weekly water changes with a salt that has good levels of calcium in it. ( I like Reef Crystals)

Once you get quite a few corals in the tank you wanna get the Calcium & Alkalinity test kits. And a little later down the road prob a Magnesium Test kit.

Don't worry about an Iodine Test kit. just keep your water changes regular. That is not something that needs to be dosed much AT ALL! (Literally like a drop a month for most people's tanks) your water changes would keep Iodine and other small trace elements replenished.

What is the best WC cycle for 10 gallons reef tank with sump of 2.5 gallon and macro algae (chaeto) and using of RO system? No protein skimmer and no Phosphate reactor.

I am using the Instant Ocean salt, i will transfer to Reef Crystal after i will finish it.

Back