Water testing

mechanic27

Reefing newb
I rather new to saltwater tanks. I was wondering what else i need to start testing for so that i can start a reef tank. Right now i test PH, Nitrite and Ammonia once a week. I use API test kits for ammonia and nitrite. I use Sera test kit for the PH. I guess my question is can you guys recommend accurate test kits and what you test for and how often. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

The API and Sera kits are fine. They are pretty good for their cost. You will need to start testing nitrate -- that's one that you will use throughout the life of your tank. Alkalinity is important also. I use the API kits for those. Once you get corals, you can start testing for calcium.

Me...eh like never. But that's not a good example to set!! Most people test once a week or so. My tank has been set up for a while, so I don't watch it that closely.

+1 Biff
In addition to the tests that Biff mentioned,I suggest testing for magnesium also.I like the ELOS kits for that.
On how often to test.I used to test my tank daily.Now I just test once or twice a week.

Back