water volume

Doc

I don't work for anybody
As I make my plans for my new tank (thanks to the upcoming economic stimulus package from the gov't) I wanted to clarify how I can use the volume of my sump to my advantage in keeping fish.

As I understand it, sump volume is added to the DT volume and can be counted in as total volume for inches of fish. For example, a 55 gallon sump would increase my bioload capacity by another 10 inches or so. Am I correct in my thinking, provided filtration and live rock was sufficient for the increased sump volume? I want to make plans accurately before blowing my gov't cash and my current plans depend on this question. Am I on the right track?

-Doc

I think that rule applies to the biological aspect of the tank but not the territorial...

So i think you're still limited because your DT can provide limited space for the fish and territory could become an issue.

It doesn't add more space to swim so keep that in mine.People say I have a 55g. sump but how much of it has water in it.I have a 65g. but it really has less than 40g. in there.

I tend to think of my sump more as a filter.So I dont use it to count toward my fish keeping volume.
You still have the same space in the display,just more water thats being filtered.
Thats my 2 pennies.

I understand the whole territory thing with fish. I am thinking of fish that get along together or ignore each other. I figure the more water that is being filtered, the "dirtier" the fish I can keep, within limits, and my parameters will still remain healthy. As long as I have hiding places and specific territory, my fish plans should be OK.

-Doc

I have to agree. It add to the volume of water you have that's being filtured. As long as you don't go way overboard you'll be fine.

For a FO or FOWlR I would say go for as long as you can avoid disputes between species that are naturally prone to killing one another. Which means just about all of them.

For a reef, and I know I have said it before, fish are more of a necessary evil. Combine a heavy fish load with tons of light and for your average home setup your looking at a uphill battle.

Then of course there is that "100 percent reef safe" species that turns out not to be. Look over the various forms and you will find a bad apple to represent pretty much any fish commonly found at the LFS. Keep bring home fish and you are bound to toss one of those bad apples in to your reef.

Setting aside territoriality issues, the fish load can be assessed by your tank chemistry, right? Let's say you already have a good number of fish, then you add more and suddenly you get an ammonia spike near harmful levels --meaning you are at your limit. Right?

I would have to agree that having a larger sump would add to the water volume and therefore let you have more fish. The larger the filter the more bad stuff it can hold in there and clean. Therefore giving more clean water to your tank daily.

Setting aside territoriality issues, the fish load can be assessed by your tank chemistry, right? Let's say you already have a good number of fish, then you add more and suddenly you get an ammonia spike near harmful levels --meaning you are at your limit. Right?

Yup. that and they start killing each other for space. That also tell you your tank is full, even if you are under the "inches of fish" rule

-Doc

Back