Wavemakers and wavemaking

Sinluien

Reefing newb
Okay so heres my question: What other than a maxijet can be used with a wavemaker? Why can i not use my penguins, which a side by side comparison shows me they are the same... marineland makes them both. Is this just a recommendation or will they seriously fail? i know koralias wont work on anything but their own and specific 12volt ones. Either way i dont think it would be to hard to have a power level move up and down rather than on and off. It is absolutely rediculous the prices on wavemakers that you can't even use anyway! Could someone perhaps enlighten me on this?

How about some cheap timers? You can run one, then the other, and switch it up. If you get the cheap one with thelittle pegs you move, I just did one on the christmas lights and it has 24 little pegs, so one every hour, then the other? Cost about 20 bucks.

but isn't that still "bad" on the powerheads? I kinda planned on the timer route, just dont wanna buy powerheads once a month.

i think the reason why most of the koralia powerheads break when you run them on an on and off timer like that when they start up the impellor shoots forward at the cap which will eventually break it. with the most powerheads the impellor cannot move forward and backward so there is not a problem. just my theory.

It's the korillas, they slap around when they start, it's like a self cleaner though, you should see the crap come out of mine when that happens. The lfs by me does this, but he runs some pumps, then one, then the rest for a few hours at a time, not every 30 minutes, he simulates tide movements...his pumps are loaded with coraline so they can't be new at all. This is in his coral tanks.

sweet. So are the koralias all they are cracked up to be or should i just go on a shopping spree for some maxi's and go to town with some timers?

Koralia is supposed to coming out a new powerhead that CAN be run on either a wavemaker or timer.Just like the regular Koralia 1-4s except they dont kick backwards on start up.
If I'm not mistaken,their supposed to be on the market sometime in Jan.

That would be sweet. Although i'm sure they are going to drag it out hoping to sell some of their specific PH's and wavemakers for the holidays and tax returns. Which i'm waiting for... hopefully they come out early january, lol.

I think im going to run this by the local computer/ electronics tech guy and see what he can make with a circuit board, a dimmer switch, an avacado and a snorkel. Hopefully something sweet he can sell cheap to people like me.

Thanks for the input guys, i look forward to reading more.

Back