Waxy whitish slime on surface of water

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
This waxy slime developed on the surface of my water. It had a whitish color and it was kinda like the skin that develops on a glass of milk that has sat out. When I tried to scoop it out with a cup it would not go into the cup because it was all one big congealed mass. I had to break it up and then scoop it out with a cup by surface skimming. At first I thought it was from the Sushi eggs (Orange Flying Fish Roe) so I stopped putting the stuff in but now the slime is coming back. What the hell is this stuff?
:frustrat::confused:

Also, I've had surface slime before but this is different, its thicker and there are some bubbles stuck in the slime.

No idea what that is. Do you have an overflow that takes water from the water surface? If so, regardless of what it is, it would have been into the filters instead of accumulated to the point of what you have.

you need to point a powerhead to the surface so that the surface water is rippling and you wont have the problem, you should be doing that also because it will give you good gas exhance also..

Sounds like a protien sheen to me. If you take a paper towel and put it on top of it and quickly pull it out it will take the ptotien sheen out with it. That link DC gave is an excellent idea to keep it from happening in the future.

The Biocube 29 has an intake vent at the water surface and it feeds into the filtration system. Typically BC29 owners will cut plastic back to increase flow. At any rate the film is gone now. My shrimp molted last night. Could his molting have caused the protein slime?

Back