Weight of 220 gallon aquarium

cudamon

Reefing newb
Does anyone know the weight of a 220 gallon glass aquarium? The dimensions are 6 feet long by 2.5 feet high by 2 feet in width. I also asking about an empty aquarium. I wasn't sure which section to post this in.

Last edited:
Well, I know little about aquariums, but it would depend on the thickness of the glass and details of the enclosure, +- cabinet, etc... You mentioned and empty aquarium. Not sure if you're looking for water weight or not, but just the water alone would be around 1836 pounds or 833 Kg.

Well, I know little about aquariums, but it would depend on the thickness of the glass and details of the enclosure, +- cabinet, etc... You mentioned and empty aquarium. Not sure if you're looking for water weight or not, but just the water alone would be around 1836 pounds or 833 Kg.

Yeah, I guessed it would depend on the thickness of the glass. I'm not sure of the thickness right now. I was thinking this size tank may have a "standard" glass size based upon the thickness. I'm in the process of having to move one this weekend. I wanted to make sure I had enough people on hand to make it a smooth transition. I was assuming the tank weight was going to be around 600 pounds with nothing in it. I was hoping someone could prove me wrong to make me feel better.

I can't help you with the weight question, but I used to have a 240 gallon tank, and my ex fiance and a friend were able to move it by themselves (with a bit of difficulty). Having three or four people would definitely be easier than two, but I've seen it done with two!

I moved my tank the first time with just my brother. The second time it took 4 of us to move the tank from the old stand to the new stand, a distance of 2ft. The tank was at least 600lbs. As everyone else has said the more people the better! Good luck!

I appreciate the input from everyone. I figured this thing probably weighs more than I would like. Sounds like I better have some brews on ice and some burgers on the grill after all is said and done!

Back