weird anemone thing

PufferGuy

Reefing newb
So i went into petco (i never buy anything from there but i like to see what they get in) yesterday and they had a tank full of clown with a pretty large anemone looking thing in there. It was like a dark coffee color and kind of sucked all it's tentacles in when my girlfriend and i were talking and looking into the tank. The way they have their lights set up, i could see their bulbs and they didnt have any kind of special lighting for it. Anyone know what what could be? Ill try to find a pic to show what it kinda looked like.

this is the closest i could find.. the one at petco had shorter stubier tentacles

beadlet_anemone_02_mid.jpg

Not sure what it is but it looks cool. Regarding lights at any fish store - you can't depend on what they are using as a guide for what a particular animal will need longer term. The store's goal is only to keep the animals healthy and happy for a short period of time until they sell them. A coral / anemone that requires bright metal halide lighting for example may do fine for weeks or even months under PC lights until it starts to deteriorate. If you can figure out what this is make sure to research the actual light requirements before you buy.

As for Petco - I think they are all different. The saltwater section at the one near me seems well run and has some very healthy looking animals and soft corals/mushrooms at some really decent prices. If you know what you're buying I don't necessarily see a reason not to buy from them if the animal is healthy and you research the requirements yourself first.

i dont not buy from them because of the name, but because their tanks are always full of ich and very underkept. As far as the anemone, it looks similar, i dunno if exactly the same, but close.

Back