Weird Slug

rbl1979

Reefing newb
Hi again fellow reefers :bouncycig:

I was wondering if anyone can try to identify a slug or snail I have found in my tank. I must apologize though I don't have a picture because he is really camouflaged in and I don't have a good enough camera to zoom in through the glass and water. I will try to describe him.

1. The slug body is about the size of a quarter
2. Only about 1/8" thick from Rock to top of shell
3. Shell only covers his head. It is small like 1/2 of your smallest finger nail.
4. What made me ask the question is just now after feeding the tank I was watching and there was one blowing out a clouding material into the water. Then I notice there was another one blowing cloudy stuff out and then another. It wasn't just once it was like every 3-4 seconds. They were hiding in the rocks and just their heads were sticking out.

Any suggestions what this could be. I have a camera on standby waiting for him to come out from hiding. When I first saw him a week ago I thought he was a crab the way he was eating then looking closer he had the body of a slug and looking even closer he had a shell covering just his head.

This is exciting I am starting to see new stuff everyday. :^:

Agree with Darko and Biff.

Does it look something like this?

Stomatella15b.jpg

stomos are awesome! in fact, the LFS gives em to me i like em so much! LOL. i just got a new one tonight... they are awesome cleaners :)

Man, am I glad someone else found one of these. Just saw one climbing around my tank the other day...mine doesn't come out in the night, only during the day.

i just found these snails in my tank as well. they must have came off of my live rock. i was scared they were a weird parasite at first. thank you to everyone for helping me identify these things. im so relieved they are reef safe.:D

Back