Weird thing in MY TANK

I dont understand why "you're done with this site"?
We gave you advice, you came off snotty, we said we didnt like the way it sounded, and that was it.
Do you realize that we want your fish to live as much as you do, but you just took the wrong route, due to misinformation or impatients, nobody is accusing you. Merely trying to guide you in the right direction.
But if you do not wish to take the advice, and let you tank crash, and everything killed. Please, be my guest, and leave the site.

Also Welcome to the site...

EDIT:

IF you care, then find someone to look after the fish, put them on craigslist! If you really cared like you say you do, you wouldnt be telling us how "rude" we are, you would be finding a way to help the fish.
And how rude can you be accusing us of not caring about a living thing? Hmm

I don't see where I'm being rude. I was simply responding to your statement of

Just because What i have in my tank doesnt mean i dont know about a salt water tank.

None of us know everything about saltwater tanks. But a lot of us have put in years of experience and research and trial and error to get to where we are. And for you to say something like:

Well the damels are small fish so they dont take up much room.

and

just waiting for the cycle to start. They say that damels are fish u can start off with right away

leads me to believe you have not done proper research. Granted, if it was the lfs who gave you that advice, then fine...most people who don't know better learn the hard way. But that's why we're trying to correct some of your misinformation.

Well if you leave I'm sorry!! That's on you. Obviously you can't take the facts! We are here to help you not hurt you, or your fish. That's our main concern! So if you can't take the criticism then I'm sorry. We are here to get your fishes life straight and your corals! You came here asking questions, we did not come to you asking questions!!!!

So therefore if u knew it was wrong why I'd you even list it.......

Sorry if I'm coming off strong, Bbbbuuuuttttt you should never sacrifice any living thing!!! Just to cycle your tank......

Let me sit u in a gas chamber and see how u like itttttttttt

Read what I just posted before Justin.

Take a deep breath....again, we're just trying to help. We've all been mislead, but again, we're just trying to correct your misinformation.

I'm not trying to sacrifice anything living thing. And I may not know as much as u all do. I did come to this site to learn.

I haven't said anything rude or snotty to anyone. And if I did I am sorry!!!

So let forget it an start fresh!!!!!!

Your tank's already cycling ;) Once the ammonia and nitrites are 0 and you have nitrates present, do a water change.

BTW, ideal salt levels should be around 1.025.

NO3 will not go down on its own. Normal levels for nitrate are below 20, but they need to be ZERO if you have anemones. The only way to reduce nitrates is to do water changes. 160 is extremely high -- one of the highest numbers for it I've seen in this hobby. Your ammonia is dangerously high as well (and you know that).

The reason your water parameters are way off is because you have so many fish in such a small space. You also didn't let the tank cycle before you added all those animals. If I had to guess, I'd say you are probably overfeeding as well.

You really need to get rid of those fish and the anemones. Give them away on Craig's List, as someone else mentioned, if you have to. Your water parameters are not going to improve as long as you are so overstocked, and the anemones are just waiting to die and kill everything off with them (which I guess would solve the damsel problem :lol:).

If you have living animals you need to be doing water changes, is the only way to try and save them. But the ammonia exposure will shorten their lifespan even if they are lucky enough to survive the cycle.

I need to let my tank cycle completely before i do any kind of water change.

You would be correct if you were cycling without live animals. But since your tank is cycling and you have animals in there, you have to do water changes to get those levels down -- they are high enough to be fatal. Doing water changes during a cycle is not ideal, but it's what you have to do if you want your animals to live. Doing water changes during a cycle will normally prolong the cycle and make it last longer, but at least the water will be safer for your animals than it is right now (another reason why it's not good to cycle using live fish).

After water change check your levels once every thing settles, maybe an hour later. Check levels at least daily. If you have No2 and really high No3 I would do a water change every other day. Mix salt in clean 5 gallon bucket and let sit for a day. Make sure water temps are the same before adding (76F-78F).

I want to tell you a story. You can listen or move on to the next post.

I researched starting a salt water tank for 10 years off and on before I did it, but thats not the point.

about 6 years ago I reset up my 55 gallon freshwater tank and when I first started it back in the 90's I cycled with zebra fish or the likes a nice cheap hardy fish. Well this time I read about the fish-less cycle and spent a week looking for pure ammonia, I found some (Ace Hardware) $7 a gallon, so I bought 2 gallons and started the cycle on my freshwater 55. It took about 10 weeks to cycle. Very frustrating could not get the ammonia levels to drop, more than one time I was ready to drain waste and start all over with fish, but thanks to another board that has long went down I staid with it and after the cycle was over I was able to fully stock my tank. I added 15 Black Neon's and 5 cory cat dish to the tank and today I still have 8 of the Neons and 2 of the corys, other fish has been added, but 6 years and I have 10 of the starting 20 is pretty damn good.

Well when I started cycling my 56 salt water I knew I was going to go fish-less cycle, so I went back to the pure ammonia type of cycle. I'm at the end of week 2 and my ammonia has spiked and my Nitrite is dropping. I will not fully stock my tank this time like with fresh water to do the advice I've been giving here, but I;m on my way.

You will hear it a million times on this board, nothing good in Salt Water happens fast. Slow day do 50% water changes every other day and get your levels down. Better yet give the fish away and start all over. If you do keep going do your best to correct your mistake and give your fish a change to live.

Robb

Back