Weird thing in MY TANK

I have never heard of pouring pure ammonia in a tank to cycle it. That sounds dangerous and a way to slow the process of cycling.

If do do an internet search on fishless cycle it will bring up several sites that talk about it. Ammonia is ammonia no matter how it gets in there. As bad as it sounds some people use there own urine to start the cycle.

You just have to make sure it's PURE ammonia, nothing added for smell or cleaning.

I have never heard of pouring pure ammonia in a tank to cycle it. That sounds dangerous and a way to slow the process of cycling.

I cycled a 120 freshwater with the Ace hardware ammonia. In about 2 1/2 months I was able to stock 50 Mbuna cichlids. My 55 saltwater I just used live rock. The saltwater took about half the time. I'm honestly finding saltwater to be easier. But like robb says need to make sure its' 100% ammonia, no perfumes or surfactant. :twocents:

Yeah but what do you think pee is, and what do you think poop breaks down into? ;) Again, you can't use just ANY ammonia...pouring in cleaning ammonia is bad since it has lots of other stuff in it. You have to buy pure 100% ammonia.

Awesome!! I still advice AGAINST damsels LOL!!! But at least now, you can get more fish (5 or 6)...but check out liveaquaria.com to get guidelines for fish' tank-size needs. Can't wait to see pics! If you're also keeping the 10g, you can take some of the sand in there to seed the 55g. If you're breaking it down, just move everything over and your cycle time will speed up. Just toss in 1/2 cube of frozen mysis to help the cycle process :) Start a new build thread! We love pics!

Welcome to the site, shadechic. Sorry you got bad advice from your fish store and glad to see you are taking advice and staying on the site :)

Awesome!! I still advice AGAINST damsels LOL!!! But at least now, you can get more fish (5 or 6)...but check out liveaquaria.com to get guidelines for fish' tank-size needs. Can't wait to see pics! If you're also keeping the 10g, you can take some of the sand in there to seed the 55g. If you're breaking it down, just move everything over and your cycle time will speed up. Just toss in 1/2 cube of frozen mysis to help the cycle process :) Start a new build thread! We love pics!

Im not going to put anything in it until i it is done cycling!!

:)

Looks great! But you have to upgrade the lighting if you will keep corals :) Remember -- no anemones for a long time LOL

i would look into a quality T5 fixture or metal halides if you are on a budget, if not I would look into LEDs.

And you should start a tank showcase thread!

Go back to my albums!!

My mother in-law got a lighting fixture like this one. She used it an said that it made her tank gather algae real bad. U could switch the lighting from like blue, to white.

I don't know if this is a good one or not.

i dont see the light

And she had algae problems because she had nutrient issues, which is really common in tanks that arent properly cared for

Its really hard to tell what type of light that is from the picture, i would be much easier to help you out if you post the link to light you want to buy.

But i would guess that the light you linked to is plenty for keeping a reef is a T5 fixture.

Back