Well First Cyano Outbreak

OSXFreak

Reefing newb
I know I've only had my tank up and running since the beginning of Feb and just had my first outbreak of Cyano.
I had thought or hoped that the pink on my rock was it beginning to get coraline(sp) but yesterday I noticed in my refugium I had LOTS of pink. It was stringy where my inlet water pipe was and waving at me :( It was all over the refugium, on sand, on some of the Cheato also on the sides of refugium walls.
So I stopped in a LFS and showed him the pictures. He told me it was Cyano, and then sold me some ChemiClean. Also told me to reduce the amount of food I'm feeding as my Nitrates are probably high. I told him it tests good, but he said ONLY becasue the Cyano is using it up and growing, it feeds on the Nitrates and Phos, so I guess smaller feedings and I have to admit, He's right, I may have been over feeding since those cubes are a PITA to cut when frozen, so was giving 1/2 cube for 2 clowns, and 2 chromis and cleaner shrimp.

Oh well live and learn

Chip

Oh, yeah, that's definitely a lot of food. I would use just a quarter of the cube, if that even. What I do is take a bunch of cubes, cute them up to smaller pieces, then store then back in a container. I do that for 2 weeks' worth of feeding, so that way, I really only get messy twice a month.

Oh, yeah, that's definitely a lot of food. I would use just a quarter of the cube, if that even. What I do is take a bunch of cubes, cute them up to smaller pieces, then store then back in a container. I do that for 2 weeks' worth of feeding, so that way, I really only get messy twice a month.
Great Idea off to cut up some Brine and Myso now.

Thanks for the info

I usually save the 2-3 trays, Melt one try worth of food and poor into all 3 trays so basicly you have 3 packs of 1/3rd cubes.

Back