Well Lets do it again shall We ;)

garydm

Reefing newb
Ok so I set up a 55 gallon tank had it going great. Got a divorce and gave the tank to my dad to keep going till I had me a house. Well at first he was on top of it all and checked and kept the tank great. Over the past 3 years I have been in an apartment and he lives three towns over and life gets in the way. Now I built a house and get the keys Friday.
Now I need some help. The tank is trashed. fish still alive but rocks covered in tall grass and silver bubble algae. nothing left of my zoas or polyps and no clean up crew left the water quality is low. Do I start over?? take the fish out which is just a clown and pajama cardinal and boil the rocks and start fresh? it has the diatoma all over the bottom. I feel bad because it once was a awesome tank. It proved to be to much for my ol dad to keep up or he just neglected it. Oh and there are traces of flat worms as well not a lot but I can see them. I’m embarrassed it got to this point so now what?

I would first check the parameters and work with that. There are a ton of animals that will clear the rock work up, but it may take some time. I would toss the sand bed and go from there. Pick up some emarld crab, typical cuc and rent a yellow tang.

Back