garydm

Reefing newb
Ok well got the sump all lined out and im waiting my 48hour dry time
PIC-0135.jpg

......I got alittle ahead of myself and bought some stuff for the tank
PIC-0140.jpg

PIC-0139.jpg

PIC-0138.jpg

NOW THIS RED STUFF IS OUT OF CONTROL!!!!! I cant get rid or the red slime.....and Im afraid to go to long without light because of the new additions.....so whats the opinions on clearing this up????......I hope the sump when up and runing will fix this some how:shock:
And a CUC for a 55gal what and how many...I have a peppermint shrimp that is feeding nonstop since I put him in......Plan on hitting The LFS hard this weekend when the sump is up and going....Speaking of sump Im putting a DSB in the fuge so can I also put in some crabs or snails or will rock be ok
I know Im needy but Im close to getting all your help and advice all wrapped up when I get the sump going and then its should be fish adding time:mrgreen:

nice sump.

Regarding the red slime, make sure you dont use tap water when you do water changes, up your water changes for a few weeks to 2x per week (10%) and try to siphon out as much of the slime as you can. Leaving the light off for 3-4 days will be ok.

Good luck.

nice sump.

Regarding the red slime, make sure you dont use tap water when you do water changes, up your water changes for a few weeks to 2x per week (10%) and try to siphon out as much of the slime as you can. Leaving the light off for 3-4 days will be ok.

Good luck.

Ill start the water changes, and thats all I needed to hear(ill shut the lights off)
I have a net I just scoop some of the slime up with it seems to work for a while....:sfish:

you can use antibiotics to get rid of cyano but i am not shure if they are safe to use with corals in the tank. or check out marine SAT

The antibiotics would definantly not be safe with the nitrifying bacteria. I would beleive killing off all those good guys would create a larger problem down the road with another cycle.

Brian

nice sump.

Good luck.

I was gonna post the exact same thing.

Stop using the net to scoop the cyano out.What gets outta the net just settles somewhere else in the tank.
Get some airline tube to use,and siphon out as much of the cyano as possible.Do the water change,shut the lights off.Then when you turn the lights back on,do another 20% water change,siphoning out any cyano you see.
It'll also help to up the flow to keep waste in suspension.

that purple slime SUCKS!! ive been trying to get rid of it for a while now.. i also just got my sump going and i filled my fuge with a ton of macroalgae which should help and also trying to do more water changes... you gotta keep at it and wait it out

I had a red slime problem for a while...what ended up dramatically improving it was a refugium with macro-algae. I used a hang on refugium with a little pump, and filled it with some chaeto. It became a good pod breeding place and helps absorb the nutrients the red algae eats.

I'm a believer in refugiums and DSB's.

You could use a little carbon right now. I would. I'd run it while the lights were out. Unhook it on day 3 or 4. Do your water change. Change the carbon and rinse the media bag out with tap water. Put fresh carbon in it. Turn on the lights and the filter with the carbon. Run it 3 or 4 days and then dump it.

I've read that good carbon is supposed to last anywhere from 3----6 weeks. I don't know. I really don't care either. I think that when we adopt these extreme methods for control of nuisance bacteria or algae there are enough toxins in the water at that time - it warrants changing at 10x the normal rate. Instead of running it 3 or 4 weeks, you change it every 3 or 4 days. Whats it gonna cost ya? $10 worth of carbon and some elbow grease?

Man just had the UPS guy drop off my nova extreme pro lights.....Man New stuff I cant use for a couple days till I get a handle on the cyno.......and melosu58 I only hope my mushrooms turn out like that

Back