were to buy a sump pump

Juiced19

Reefing newb
I have a 55 gallon tank and I'm making a 10 gallon sump. I need 2 pumps. One for water going into 10 gallon tank and one for the return. What pump should I go with and were can I buy them. Thanks

Yep, to get water down to the sump you will want to use an overflow box. A good return pump is a mag 5. I bought both my overflow and return pump online. There are tons of dry good stores online with much better prices than you normally find at a lfs.

I don't really know how well that would work. I think it would be hard to get the pumps to balance out. Plus, canister filters are really freshwater technology that require diligent upkeep if you want to use it for a saltwater setup.

no, you only ever want to use one pump in the loop. Even if you buy the exact same pump, each pump will move the water at a different rate, so you are going to end up with either the tank running low and the sump overflowing, or the sump overflowing and the tank running low. But with an overflow, the amount of water going to down to the sump is set by how much water the return pump is moving, and the level in the sump and tank will stay level (aside from what evaporates, but that is easy to deal with)

that makes sense. Thanks. Will 800 gph be good enough for a 55 gallon tank going into a 10 gallon sump? What kind of overflow box would you recommend. A cheaper one lol

Also what if i do the opposite. Have the canister filter be the return back into the tank and an overflow box will be the incoming water to the 10 gallon tank?

I am thinking of placing a 30gal sump tank behind the wall where my tank is. Would a Mag 5 work with this set up, or look into something a bit stronger? (55galDT)

a mag 5 should be fine, by the time it gets to the tank would be in the 250-300 gal per hour range or so.. if it was me personally I would go up one more, always better to be a little over then to small and have to replace it.. just put the ball valve in after the pump and regulate any extra coming up..

Back