Wesley's 10 Gallon Larvae Tank

A few people have asked me about how much it cost to setup something simlar. Here is a break down:

Must Have:
Number of 10g Tank $12 each (depends how many batch you want to hold)
B/W Paint $10-$20 (I later changed to use the fish tank background plastic sheet thingy so that they are removable)
Themometer $5
Rigid air tubes $6
Sponge filters (1 small and 1 large) $15
2 Air large pump (for cultures and fish) $170
A few Air valve $30
Air hosts $35
Light fixture for fish tank $8
Varies wattage light bulbs $20
Light for phytoplanktons $80
Rotifer culture starter $60
Phytoplankton starter $30
2x 53um sieves $30
Baby fish food (Otohime A, B1, B2, C1) $200

Needed but you may already have:
pH meter $50
3x 5g buckets $15
2x 2g buckets $10
Lots of soda bottles $0 (or whatever it cost if you have to buy them)
Salt for start $45
Large and small fish bagger or any thing that you can scoop water $12
PVC piping and valve and tubes $300
Sump $40
Bio balls or LR $100
Filter Socks $30
Water Pump $40
UV $80
Nutrition export system (Algae Scrubber, Protein Skimmer, Biopellet, etc) $$$$$$

Hope I didn't miss much.

Last edited:
Yeah, but it's only lucrative if you find enough buyers for the clownfish. They sell them at the LFS for what, $20-40, so you'll probably get $10-20/clownfish, and there's no guarantee that one lfs will buy a lot. But it's good to know the cost breakdown. Awesome thread, Wes!

Otohime is the one and only company that make pellets that are target for baby fish. It has the exact correct sizes (under 300um for the smallest one) and the complete nutrition that baby fish need. However, the smallest size bag they have are 1kg and 2kg. Each bag is more than enough for years!

Don't know, but I put them into many Ziploc bags and keep them in the freezer. They should last forever in there. I also offer to sell them by the oz for whoever buying my baby fish.

Back