wet/dry filters

ravenfan8705

Reefing newb
I'm setting up a 125 gallon saltwater tank and am curious as to what wet/dry filter anyone recommends. I actually purchased an eshopps but am now thinking of returning it and getting a megaflow. Any input on either of these or others would really help. I also bought an ASM G3 protein skimmer. Anyone know anything about them? Thanks

Last edited:
The ASM is suppose to be a pretty good skimmer.Thats pretty much all I know on them.Any wet/dry is fine for a fish only tank.I recommend a sump/refugium and 1-2lbs per gallon of live rock and skip the wet/dry altogether.Basically,your live rock will do what the wet/dry does without raising nitrates.

For that is it just basically another tank below your setup that has water coming in, live sand and live rock, skimmer, heater and then a pump on the other end to push the water back up into the viewing tank

Your on the money.
A sump(refugium) makes a good nitrate reduction.A combination of rock rubble,macro-algae and a DSB(deep sand bed) helps in keeping nitrates at or near zero.Its makes a nice breeding ground for copepods which consume detris and feed the corals,fish etc.

alright...maybe i'll return the wet/dry i have and look into that route.....what size refugium do you think i would need?
Thanks for helping me out

I also agree that a combination of a skimmer/live rock/sump/fuge will be better than a wet dry filter. As for the size of the sump/fuge, the bigger the better. Usually determined by the size tank you can fit in your stand, under the display tank.

Back