Wet vs Dry Skimming

Altohombre

The Tennis Pro Reefer
what is the advantage of dry skimming other than pulling less water out of your tank? Seems like wet skimming would pull out more crap even if its watered down more.

There really isn't much of a difference. Skimming wet means you are running a higher water to air ratio inside the skimmer, so the water is processing faster thru less bubbles. If you skim dry, you have more air in the skimmer, so the water is processing slower and there are more bubbles for the proteins to attach to.

There is a recent thread on reefcentral and the overwhelming majority was to skim wet. The only "downside" is that you are pulling saltwater out of the tank so there could be a slight change in salinity but for the most part not enough to be concerned about it, especially if you are doing water changes.

and you change this by adjusting the o-ring?
It depends on the skimmer. Most better skimmmer are adjusted by raising or lowering the return stand pipe out of the skimmer. The CSS has a red knob (as Dustin mentioned) that raises/lowers the water level. I don't know of any skimmer that has an air adjustment dial, but some lower quality skimmers might.

It depends on the skimmer. Most better skimmmer are adjusted by raising or lowering the return stand pipe out of the skimmer. The CSS has a red knob (as Dustin mentioned) that raises/lowers the water level. I don't know of any skimmer that has an air adjustment dial, but some lower quality skimmers might.

The deltec mce 600 has a valve on the top of the venturi inlet, however that pretty much needs to stay open at all times. Then adjustments are just made by raising and lowering the collection cup.

Alto you asked about an oring, some skimmers have an adjustable collection cup with an o ring type thing that just keeps it in position. Is that what you are asking about? If so than yes that would be how you adjust it.

Alto you asked about an oring, some skimmers have an adjustable collection cup with an o ring type thing that just keeps it in position. Is that what you are asking about? If so than yes that would be how you adjust it.

That's how my Aqua C Urchin Pro is set up. But I can't get a dry skim out of it so far. Just a dark to medium brown wet skim.

That's how my Aqua C Urchin Pro is set up. But I can't get a dry skim out of it so far. Just a dark to medium brown wet skim.

That's what I get from my Remora Pro also. I have it set up for a very wet skim, and that's the way it works best for me.

My Octopus skimmer doesn't seem to pull dry skimmate very well, so I skim very wet. Maybe it's just a trait of the brand, but it seems to run a lot better that way.

yeah I have an AquaC Remora Pro and the O-ring adjusts the cup height. I have the O-ring at about the top of the cup making it rest as far down as it can in the skimmer. This is considered wet skimming right?

Back