What a disaster!

michelle

Reefing newb
Ok, So my tank started its life as a brackish tank. At that time, I bought this great ornament rock for it. $45.00 most realistic one I could find, with great caves and tunnels.
When I changed it over to Salt, I knew I couldn't afford to get all my live rock at once, so I was told to leave this ornament in there to be a home to some animals and because it already had some of the bacteria I would need.
Little flakes of paint started to come off, so I decide tonight that the time had come to remove it. I still don't have enough rock, but I don't want to have paint floating around for my fish to think it's food.
Okay, all that being said....I picked the rock up and a TON of paint fell off. My substrate is now littered with it. I was assured that it is NOT toxic, but I still hate it being there.
So, then I repositioned my LR, because I was using the ornament as a support for some, and my anemone got sucked up into the filter:grumble:.
I turned it off and took him out, but I don't know if he will recover from the stress.
And finally, as if I am not stressed enough at this point, one of my rocks fell loose and landed on my starfish...he lost an arm:frustrat:
:HELP!:

WOW!! Sorry to hear it. Sounds like something that would happen in my tank. I hope everything pulls through for you.

As long the anemone didnt get tore,it should be OK.
The starfish aint hurt at all,it'll be fine.
As for the paint.Just take a turkey baster and suck it up.You can squirt it through some filter media to remove the paint and put the water back in the tank.
Sounds like Bobbys luck for sure.

I woke this morning to the anemone in the filter again. Stuck pretty good thid time. I finally got it out, but it doesn't look very good.
How do you know if it's dead?
And in case it's not, how do I keep it from getting stuck in there again? is there something I can put around the intake that would allow water through but not suck the nem in?

Nothing you can really do. You can wrap a sponge pad around the filter intake. Anemones are infamous for getting chopped up in filters and powerheads -- a lot are lost that way. That's why they are such a pain in the ass in reef tanks, they move around so much.

I think it may be coming around. Although it still looks rather mangled...
here's a pic

100_2585.jpg

ouch. that is no good. sorry to hear about that. I have a starfish that chose to get stuck in the powerhead and lost three and a half arms. He is still kicking around and has grown almost a third of an arm back.

the nem may make it if it is still swelling up with water and has color. they are a touch difficult to manage for this very reason, they can move - everywhere. If you use a sponge, make sure you take it off to clean it weekly.

-Doc

Starfish can lose arms, no problem. That's their defense mechanism. If the arm has any of the original disc still attached, it will actually regrow into a second starfish.

do any of you have an opinion on surface skimmers? My filter came with the attachment. I've never used it, but I am wondering if I adjust it to take the water from the surface I could probably save the anemone from getting stuck in the filter again.

Eh. If the arm wasn't moving around by itself and acting alive, it probably didn't have any of the disc attached. In the past, when I've had starfish lose arms and the arms have regrown into new starfish, the arms actually act alive. It's super creepy.

You can buy mess bags to cover the screen.They come in many sizes.I would go ahead an add the surface skimmer if you can.That would be better than the mess bag and you get better filtration if water is pulled from the surface.Oraganic waste accumulates at the water surface.

My rose BTA detached from its rock and got sucked into my filter screen and looked to be a complete disaster. Luckily, it survived after carefully separating it from the screen. 6 weeks later, it divided, and has looked beautiful ever since. Hopefully your anemone will be ok! What kind is it?

So, since the filter incedents my anemone has taken refuge in a cave. It's been a couple of days now and I am wondering if I should attempt to move him somewhere, where he will get more light. Wouldn't being in such a shaded place be detrimental? or will he move when he is ready? It's also an awkward place to feed him, and I assume he needs a little extra food while he is recovering.

Just leave it be.It'll come back out when its ready.
my BTA will do that at times.It'll stay back in the hole for a couple of days,then pop back out.

Back