What are all these tiny bubbles...

Ctimpson

Reefing newb
Ok so along the front of my tank, down on the sandbed I have lots of tiny little clear "airbubbles"... From doing some research, I am confident that it is not bubble algae... But what are they and where did they come from...All my parameters are at 0 except for my nitrates which are at 5... Any thoughts? Could this simply be nitrogen gases building up?

Last edited:
Most likely gas building up in your substrate. Do you have enough sand stirrers in your cleaner crew, like nassarius snails?

I'm not sure if nitrogen gas or not.I do know that every system I set up it gets these air bubbles under the sand for the first several months and then they are gone.I know some will tell you its nitrogen gas but I just think its trap air.It takes a long time for anerobic bacteria to form and then release the gas.Your system hasn't matured to that point yet.

Alright, so tomorrow should I gently stir the sand with a stick or something... I thought I had enough snails, but I should get some more, because they are all on the glass, not in the sand...

Wait a second,I thought you said it was under the sand.Its on top and on the glass?I hope its not dinoflagellate,a nuisance algae they tends to have air bubbles trapped in them.

Back