what are some good wrasses and anthias?

mennazeher04

Reefing newb
Hey there I have a 120gal and i would like to add a wrasse and or anthias to the tank. Any suggestions or horror stories about them. Also do they need to be kept in groups or better alone? Thanks.:mrgreen:

wrasses I would keep alone, unless a mated pair or put in the tank at the same time (depends on the type of wrasse). anthias are usually better in small groups. both are notorious jumpers, so do you have a covered tank? :)

Some wrasses are reef safe, some ain't. I'd start at Live Aquaria for descriptions of fish temperaments and behavioral characteristics.

My only other advice:
Don't put a 6-line wrasse in a 30g tank. :mrgreen:

Anthias are nice :) People here have lots of good things to say about them. I think depending on if your tank is fowlr or reef, I think some wrasses are not good for reefs. I'm sure someone here will chime in.

BAH! Ninja'd! +1 them :)

wrasses I would keep alone, unless a mated pair or put in the tank at the same time (depends on the type of wrasse). anthias are usually better in small groups. both are notorious jumpers, so do you have a covered tank? :)

My tank is covered and my tank is a 120 gal Reef Tank. I think im leaning more towards the anthias but is there any suggestions on which one to get and how many of that fish. There is just so many anthias i just dont know which one i want.LOL.

Harlequin Tuskfish for sure what are you trying to do with your tank reef? fowlr? please add these details so people can suggest fish that you will be happy with

I have a Leopard Wrasse...and an Exquisite Fairy Wrasse. Both are fun to watch...but the leopard is my favorite. The colors are amazing! Both of mine have done very well in my reef tank. :)

Now, just a sixline. I had a leopard wrasse for several years that died back in October. He was my favorite fish :( And I had a fairy wrasse that jumped a couple weeks ago.

There are so many wrasse out there that are reef safe.I think my favorites are in the fairy group....scott's,hooded,flames.I could go on and on.

Bartletts and lyretails are the easiest of anthias.A small harem of one male and several females would be nice.They are not finicky,eat just about anything and are always active when the lights are on.

Sixlines can be aggressive. More often than not, they're peaceful... But some people don't want to chance it. I've never had problems with sixlines.

6-lines are EVIL in my experience. But you have to consider that the only 6-line I ever had was in a small 30g tank. He turned into a bully after about 6 months and had to be given away. I like 6-lines. But I don't think they belong in small tanks where there is the potential they will be one of the larger fish. Seams they take advantage of that and will bully others.

I think they have the POTENTIAL to be aggressive. I think they are more peaceful in a larger tank where there is far less chance of them being the biggest and meanest fish on the block.

Back