What are these, budding LPS corals or what??

ltkenbo

Reefing newb
I have seen these things on my LPS corals (candy cane, frogspawn, and hammer) and I assumed they were buds on the main branches, but now I have seen a couple appearing on rocks and even on a snail shell. I thought maybe they were some type of algae, but then I felt them and they are hard and calcium like. Here's some pics:

weirdgrowth.jpg

weirdgrowth2.jpg

weirdgrowth3.jpg

weirdgrowth4.jpg

They are not harmful, but they can irritate corals if they grow large. You'll see during feeding time that they'll shoot out a web to catch food. If their webs start to cover corals, you can plug up their tubes with a drop of superglue gel.

You can leave them, they are pretty cool. I'm not sure what breaking them off will do, if it will kill it or if it will just grow back.

I have two huge ones on the rock that my green star polyps are attached to. They're about as thick as a pencil. When they shoot their "web" out it's almost a foot long!

Vermatid snail growth is typically a sign of a well established tank with things going very well. I don't think they will have any adverse affects on your corals. I have them everywhere. I've had the webs drapped over just about every type of coral with out any issues on a daily basis. If fact, until I had to kill some redbugs on a large acro (the treatment kills all inverts), I had a colony of vermatids that were encrusted with Acro. They lived harmoniously for a year.

Vermetid snails can grow to plague proportions. In the ocean, there's always a predator to eat them. In your tank, no predators to keep their population in check.

I don't know if I'd kill them, but if they start spreading rapidly, I'd start taking measures to slow them down. I like the superglue idea that Biff suggested, but you gotta figure if that kills them it's gonna cause a nitrate spike when they begin to die and rot

It is a sign of a healthy tank. Just don't let them begin to take over. I've read horror stories of people having to tear down the tank and start all over because of vermetid snails reproducing and turning into 10's of thousands in a reef. :shock:

I think everyone has a few here or there.I haven't witness them spreading to to plague proportions.

Btw,your live rock looks superb!

I've got tons of them, my rocks are almost spiky with them. They are all tiny. I had a huge one, tried breaking the tube, he fixed it within a couple of days.

Back