what are these hermits doing?

repelking

Reefing newb
I have a newly cycled tank that has about 10 or 12 hermit crabs. Eveything is well and I'm about to add some fish soon.
Without anything else to really watch, I've noticed something about the crabs. Every night while the lights are out they all gather in the same hole in one of the rocks, and in the morning when I turn on the light (and especially if I put a flake of food in and it begins to circulate around the tank), they come swarming out of the hole like a swarm of spiders in a horror movie.
Why would they all gather in the exact same rock hole every night? They have the entire tank to themselves...

A bunch of mine do the same thing. The whole, that they all hang out in, is a detrius trap. Maybe its like a McDonalds for them.

A bunch of mine do the same thing. The whole, that they all hang out in, is a detrius trap. Maybe its like a McDonalds for them.

Now that you mentioned it, it is a place where a pocket of detrius settles all the time. Its just that there are a lot of other holes like that around the tank...

Hmm...Gregarious hermit crabs..a contradiction if I ever heard one.

Back