What are your favorite corals?

Discussion in 'Corals' started by Pterois, May 23, 2005.

1. Pterois

Pterois

While my first reef tank was cycling, I read everything I could get my hands on trying to learn which corals I wanted to keep. I also learned about the ones I shouldn't keep in my system.

I was drawn to the LPS corals (Brain, Favia, Plate). Unfortunately, I didn't have enough experience to keep them. So, the 55 gallon tank cycled for 3 months with just live rock. The great thing about this long cycling period was the daily discoveries. I'd find something new on the rock, and get so excited. I went to my first frag swap in January and asked specifically for "newbie" corals. I came home with Xenia, zoanthids, and a bubble coral. They've all grown and spread in the tank.

Next, I purchased some Montipora from a fellow reef club member. They've also grown and add some nice color to the tank.

That's about it for this tank. The new tank will be LPS and clams, and I hope that my continued study and advice from members of this forum will help me to acheive my goal of having my favorite corals. It will be worth the wait.

What are your favorite corals?

Angela

Pterois, May 23, 2005
    1. Advertisements

2. Pterois

Chris

I have some green polyps that formed from one set of corals to another rock 3 feet away, I am amazed to see a new coral without fragging. I have to run and see it everyday. I will take some pictures of it along with my refuge tonight.

Chris, May 23, 2005
    1. Advertisements

3. Pterois

jhnrb

My two favorite corals are the plate coral (Fungia sp.) purple/green, and Hydronphora grandis (green variety). I definitely will be incorporating some clams.

jhnrb, May 24, 2005
  4. Pterois

minireefer

I like zoo's alot but my favorite is my sun coral.A bit of a pain to take care of,but so nice to look at.The mushroom rock I purchased had 4 on it now they are speading all over

Last edited: May 26, 2005
    minireefer, May 26, 2005
  5. Pterois

scoobiedooiscool

my favs

so far i love my richordias and x-mas tree rock. oh and my gargonians. you know what though i love everything in my tank i love to see it grow and multiply. i have a sun polyp rock also but cant seem to get them to come out durring the day grrrrrrr.

scoobiedooiscool, Apr 25, 2006
  6. Pterois

amonya

:mrgreen: Mine would be the flower/ricordea mushroom red and orange (pacific)nice bright colors

amonya, Apr 25, 2006
  7. Pterois

scoobiedooiscool

hmmm

i dont know what mine are but they are all the bubblie ones the ones that are going the most nuts are orange with purple trim and green mouths. my blue and purple ones arent multiplying as fast and i just got orange with green trim and green with blue trim ones.

8. Pterois

scoobiedooiscool

p.s.

i really wish there was chat durring the day i can never get on at night grrrrr.

9. Pterois

minireefer

Mine is now trained and comes out during the day.I keep mine under a ledge though also feed it during the day on the weekends so it will open at that time
    I was able to get it to open using live phyto than once it started opening feed it directly with tawd cubes, mantis,and brine shrimp

minireefer, Apr 26, 2006
  10. Pterois

ckam

sun corals are my fav. they love cyclopeez(frozen) and have multiplied all over the tank. to keep them out i put them in the fastest currents in my tank. one of them is 6 inches from a viaqua 480.

ckam, Apr 26, 2006
  11. Pterois

scoobiedooiscool

suns

hmmm i have only been squirting that green stuff by them i will try the frozen critters thanks

scoobiedooiscool, Apr 26, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question