What are your fishes' names, and why did you pick them?

joshlegs

Reefing newb
So I just added some snails and a crab to my tank and I named a few of them. I thought it would be fun for us all to tell the names of our fish and why we named them that.

So here are mine:

smaller clown fish is named Andre, for Andre the Giant (a paradoxy name, yes).
bigger clown is named A Fish Named Wanda, after the movie.
Damsel fish is named Mr. Huffypants, because he used to look like he was huffing at you when you looked at him.

My biggest snail is named El Gigante, because he is huggge (about the size of a fifty cent piece).

My first hermit crab, which is pretty big (he was $8.50 at petco) is named Optimus because he was the first hermit crab i got.

My other hermit crab is named Whitey, cuz he's white.

I'd love to hear some of yalls fishes' names and why you picked them, and i think other folks would too :)

there is minnow,sandy,cora and max the sharks
spot is a one spot foxface. dots is the spotted rabbit fish
the rest i call by there common names

The only fish name in my tank is the larger clown and she is "Nemo".. not my doing but the doing of the day care kids allowed to view the tank from time to time.
If you have young kids around, your larger clown is sooner or later going to have Nemo as a name. So from my experience you may as well make it official.

My kids know the proper name for everything in the tiny tank (and they knew the proper names for everything in the big tank).

Best part about that was going to fish store with a four year old and her being able to pick out the gobies in the different tanks. "Yook at the dobie!"

My kids know the proper name for everything in the tiny tank (and they knew the proper names for everything in the big tank).

Best part about that was going to fish store with a four year old and her being able to pick out the gobies in the different tanks. "Yook at the dobie!"

makes a mom proud? dauh.. I'm sure.

So .. ummm. are you teaching the tax names of those species, next? ;)

I know all the tax names to all the mammals, fish, coral, birds, reptiles, and plants in my area while I have the book open to that page with a picture but can't pronounce any (very many) of them.

Last edited:
Nah. I only know a couple of those. Common names are good enough.

LOL... more than you know.. when I teach a lecture on mammals I answer about the same thing when ask if I know the tax names. ...... However .........I do teach the proper way to name a new species and apply for that name to become official.

Why is that?

Huummm ..because you seem per your posts and my opinion of them to be the type to understand their importance and maintain an awareness of those enough to name fish after them. Where most did or did not study them enough to pass a test and then dump that neuron's contents.

It is my way of paying you a compliment.. and I see you as one who knows that and will prod for the real thing. ;)

Welcome to "the big bang theory".

....now solve my snail problem...(water chemistry folder, "ok....something is not right").. in a non-confrontational way.;)

Last edited:
Let's see....my foxface is Buster cuz he looks like a Buster. My diamond goby is Fizgig because Dark Crystal rocks. My 6line wrasse is Gremlin cuz he looks like one. My last surviving chromis is Thing 2....the last chromis that died was Thing 1 cuz they were just all over the place. My clownfish is bozo, naturally. My last surviving hermit crab is called the Beast cuz he's big.

My clown fish are called
Big clown and Little clown.

The fresh water tank

The Guppies are called
Male Guppy
Female Guppy with red tail
Female Guppy with yellow tail

The Corydoras Catfish
Cory

The Dwarf Plecostomas
Fred Fish

As you can see, very original. :mrgreen:

My current fish all have literary/film names, but my holdout from my last tank has a color name, as that was the theme for that tank. So here they are:

Onyx - Red Jewel Nano Blenny (she's black, hence the name)
Edward - Yellow Watchman Goby (Twilight Series)
Nemo - Percula Clownfish (20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, plus the whole Nemo thing; I have a toddler)
Dagny - Percula Clownfish (Atlas Shrugged)
Ash - Flameback Dwarf Angel (Acheron and Evil Dead)
Wise - Maroon Clown (hubby named them when there was a pair, Penny and Wise, after the movie It)
Fifty - Cream Angel (Fifty Shades of Grey)
Hermione - Blue Caribbean Tang (Harry Potter)
Neo - Midas Blenny (Matrix)

And my toddler knows all the fish's given names, and he can tell you what types of corals are in the tank. He can list mushrooms, zoas, acans, monti caps, monti digi, duncan, leather, birdsnest.

So there you have it!

My current fish all have literary/film names, but my holdout from my last tank has a color name, as that was the theme for that tank. So here they are:

Onyx - Red Jewel Nano Blenny (she's black, hence the name)
Edward - Yellow Watchman Goby (Twilight Series)
Nemo - Percula Clownfish (20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, plus the whole Nemo thing; I have a toddler)
Dagny - Percula Clownfish (Atlas Shrugged)
Ash - Flameback Dwarf Angel (Acheron and Evil Dead)
Wise - Maroon Clown (hubby named them when there was a pair, Penny and Wise, after the movie It)
Fifty - Cream Angel (Fifty Shades of Grey)
Hermione - Blue Caribbean Tang (Harry Potter)
Neo - Midas Blenny (Matrix)

And my toddler knows all the fish's given names, and he can tell you what types of corals are in the tank. He can list mushrooms, zoas, acans, monti caps, monti digi, duncan, leather, birdsnest.

So there you have it!

NO.. there YOU have it.. .. good job with the kid!!!

Some of my fish i call names that I wont say on here :mrgreen:

But my favorite fish is my lionfish named Marty

O Wow you have a lion fish, Thats cool, i alwys wanted one but being as i have a mixt reef tank and cant keep one :( , Maybe ones i move my reef tank to the new 280 gl ill make the 125 into a FOWLR tank.

Back