What are your thoughts on a HOB fuge / skimmer?

lightcs4

Loving to learn
I am looking at purchasing a HOB fuge, with the plan to add a skimmer down the road. The HOB is a 4.7 gal fuge (25" long x 4" wide x 23 " highwith a space for a small skimmer. I don't have room for a sump w/skimmer under the tank. It is only a 13 x 12 space that currently holds the canister filter. Would it be worth adding a skimmer while continuing the weekly water changes or skip the skimmer and continue with water changes? Thanks in advance.

I started out using the MEDIUM Aquafuge2 without a skimmer. It's shorter from side to side and holds less water. No skimmer.
http://www.cpraquatic.com/products/aquafuge.html

It worked okay, but at 19" long, I had no room for any decent HOB skimmer too. I'd have to hang it on the side. (HOS ?) The footprint of the tank is 24x12. It's 24" tall. That would have looked awful with a HOB skimmer on the side of it. So I bought the big one with the built in skimmer.

I am currently using the CPR HOB LARGE Aquafuge2 PS with built in skimmer. This is on my 30g tall.
http://www.cpraquatic.com/products/aquafugeps.html

I like it. I know it's not the worlds best Super Duper Turbo Bubble Twister 5000, but it works pretty good IMO. There is a baffle at the bottom of both these refugiums. You can easily put 5 or 6" of sand in them if you like the DSB. Mine if as full as I can get it. I think it was about 12lbs, maybe 14lbs (?)

I also bought the CPR light and stand kit for it. It's a 24w PC light.

Here is where ya buy these things. They have the best price on the internet. I searched for WEEKS to find the overall best deal on the fuge and shipping. These guys are it. No BS either. Paid for it. Got a tracking number the next day. UPS was at my door in 5 days.
http://www.aquarium-supply.biz/CPR_Aquatics_Refugiums_s/401.htm

I'm currently using the very first refugium in the list. I started out with the 3rd one on the list.

I'm using the 2nd light on the list. Medium 24w. It works on either refugium that I have. It may work on others. I don't know. I just know I cut a 1/2g size hunk of cheato outta my fuge 3 times a year. It's plenty of light.

You need the acrylic light stand. It's the first one after the lights. It's $16 for the kit. Works good. It just slips on the light. Set the light on top of the refugium. Easy to clean. Splash some fresh water from the tap on them and slap them back on the fuge.

My ONLY complaint about this setup:

I run a reverse light cycle to help stabilize pH. Common practice in this hobby.

When the tank lights go out, the refugium light comes on. It's 6" ABOVE the back of the tank. Thats how HOB refugiums work. You pump water UPHILL and over the back of the tank. The outlet on the refugium has to go over the top of the tank. They stick up.

The 24w refugium light puts out enough light that it basically lights the display tank. I have a little piece of cheap black plastic sheet that I curved up and I slip one edge under the feet of the refugium legs. That hold the edge close to the refugium and the other edge lays on top of my display light. It provides a cheap plastic shield to keep 99% of the light in the refugium.

I put the plastic shield on each night and take it off each morning. I can't leave the plastic sheet on top of my display lights all day. They get too hot.

Other than that, I like it.

RC,

Thanks for providing so much detail. I'll definitely take a look at the site. I am concerned that I may have water quality issues as I add more corals to the tank, as well as another wrasse (last one didn't make it out of hyposalinity).

I like the idea of the CPR Large. The tank is 36" long and I want as much additional water as I can get, plus a DSB, cheato, rubble rock, and lots of pods (basically, I want it all ... but have a budget for much less :grumble:). The HOB seems like a great fit since I don't have room for a sump under the tank. I would leave the canister running as well just to add another couple gallons of water and a bit of flow.

Mine is TOTALLY loaded with pods, snails, sponges, coraline algae, rubble. It's really my only filtration. I change about 5 or 6g every week.

Back