What causes Red Cyano Bacteria (red slime)?

Well i sucked it all up with a siphon hose today.Cleaned my filter.Im gonna junk the aqua clear carbon filter and pick up a Imperor Bio wheel filter this weekend.I also just added a foam sock to my protein skimmer and no more bubbles in the return hose.:DIts working perfectly.Did a small 10% water change too today.I also picked up fozen food formula B.It has

Clam
Kelp
Mussel
Scallops
Shrimp
Fish Roe
Plankton
Marine Algae
Gelaten
Spiruling
2% Garlic

Hope by doing this it just goes away.I also had my Lights running about 11 hours a day,Cut them down to 9 hours

I don't know how many corals you have, but they can go without light for a while and cyano cannot. You can safely cut down your light cycle to 3-4 hours and that will help more.

If you are wanting to give it a whirl, shut off all your lights for three days and make sure the room stays completly dark during that time. Your cyano will be gone and your corals will not take a hit at all. Anemones hate that though, they will move all over the place when you do that.

-Doc

Like Yote said. Make sure your filters are well maintained. I use a cannister filter and don't have any problems,but I keep a close idea on the water params.

Back