What Damsels Have You Kept?

RyanG

Reef enthusiast
I know, I know damsels are the devil, but some of them are downright gorgeous. What damsels have you kept, which were jerks and which were good fishes. I really like both the Honey Damsel and the Sgt. Major damselfishes. Anyone kept either?

I have had blue damsels, 3 stripe and yellow tail. All but the blue were a-holes. dont do it man. don 't let their beauty deceive you. In a tank size like yours, you will be forced to remove all your rocks to catch it. and when you do, you will wish there was a way to give them the same agony they gave you. Bastards!!!

Well my experience with the 3 stripe was brutal. I dont know how other damsels are, i only had these three.

Last edited:
I've kept four types: domino, striped, blue and yellow tail blue damsels.

The dominos and striped were the WORST. They killed each other off. (This was back about 9 years ago when I set up my first tank ever. Of course, I started my tank with a handful of various damsels :(. A rookie mistake).

I've had a blue and yellow tail for 3+ years now. They started in my 55 and I kept them when I upgraded to my 240. I've had no problems whatsoever with the yellow tail. I think they tend to be more placid than other damsels. Although some people have horror stories about yellow tails too.

The blue one and I started off rough though. He killed any fish smaller than himself, and he even used to kill corals that were in his territory. He's mellowed out quite a bit over the years though, and doesn't cause any problems any more.

Whichever one you choose, you are going to be taking a risk.

I have had yellow tail and talbot damselfish. The yellowtails are the most hardy but the Tailbots are very beautiful but I have had bad luck with them. I have heard that the domino damsels are dam selfish with their territory also

There is one at my LFS that is black with neon blue. They are cool but I heard when they get older they turn to straight black and are the meanest things ever.

The first saltwater fish I ever bought was a yellowtail damsel.Had it in a 30gal tank.It killed every fish I added,even fish twice its size.Had to pull all the rock and drain the water to catch him.
I'd avoid damsels like they had rabies.

I have the blue and yellow , domino , three strip , clowns , and sergant majors, the sergant majors I caught down my road and within 6 mnths doubled in size and and are very agressive towards each other but no one else in the tank they eat pretty much anything , and like them i guess a little bit more because i caught them myself as for try damsels that are clowns i would be cautious because like others said it will be hard to catch them in the tank if you have a lot of live rick and structure

also if you want to get rid of a lot fo smaller damsels add a snowflake eel to yoru tank lol mine does great at feasting on my little fishes, they just disappear one day

i have 2 dominos and 1 yellow tail. one of the dominos is a little bigger than the other two and is a real S.O.B. to he others. i'm jest looking for an oppertunity to get rid of him.

Sgt majors are super aggressive. I went snorkeling in Jamaica a few times and there's massive schools of them eating everything in sight. We brought along dinner rolls and they devoured them. Cool looking damsels though!
The only damsel I kept for a while was a yellowtail to cycle my first tank. Had him for over a year, didn't grow much and was very shy. I rarely saw it, and it never bothered anything. Rarity, I guess.

I have kept the blue and sgt major.

The blue was mean and attacked most things including my chacolate chip star fish.

The sgt major I had for quit awhile and was very even tempered. Didn't bother much in my tank and was a decent fish.

Back