What do I need in a tank without with a fish only tank

"What do I need in a tank without with a fish only tank"

As soon as I untangle my brain from reading this I will help you out...

Interwebz is your friend

So are the Sticky articles posted at this site

From all the random threads you've started about various fish and lobsters it sounds like you have some skizophrenic semi-plan for a tank you may have at some point in the future

You will have a much smoother time if you SLOW DOWN and come up with a rational plan. You're 'rare fish' will still be available a few months from now, there really is no need to rush out and buy it now because one is availabe....etc

If you want fish only all you need is
live rock,
sand,
test kits for
PH
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrates

A refractometer or hydrometer
A termometer and a heater.
lighting to see your fish.
fish food.

I have to ask. How old are you? You have posted so many threads (like 20) about livestock that you say you urgently need answers to, yet you don't have a tank. You keep saying how you will be getting a tank around Christmas, but every day you seem ready to jump on buying some fish or lobster or whatever right now whether you have a tank to put it in or not. I don't mean to hurt your feelings, but people are not taking your threads seriously anymore because you never actually do anything with the advice you are given -- the next day you are onto some other fish that you have to have, even though you have nowhere to put it.

So chill out! ;) We are happy to have you here, and happy to help, but it seems like you are flipping through a book of fish with your eyes closed, and every day you point your finger at a different page, and get your mind set on buying that fish, and you don't even have a tank.

Instead of counting on a 220 gallon tank (which it seems is not going to happen) why don't you actually buy a small tank and start participating in the hobby? If you get a 29 gallon tank, it won't cost much (much less than a 220) and you could have 3 or 4 nice little fish in it.

I have to ask. How old are you? You have posted so many threads (like 20) about livestock that you say you urgently need answers to, yet you don't have a tank. You keep saying how you will be getting a tank around Christmas, but every day you seem ready to jump on buying some fish or lobster or whatever right now whether you have a tank to put it in or not. I don't mean to hurt your feelings, but people are not taking your threads seriously anymore because you never actually do anything with the advice you are given -- the next day you are onto some other fish that you have to have, even though you have nowhere to put it.

So chill out! ;) We are happy to have you here, and happy to help, but it seems like you are flipping through a book of fish with your eyes closed, and every day you point your finger at a different page, and get your mind set on buying that fish, and you don't even have a tank.

Instead of counting on a 220 gallon tank (which it seems is not going to happen) why don't you actually buy a small tank and start participating in the hobby? If you get a 29 gallon tank, it won't cost much (much less than a 220) and you could have 3 or 4 nice little fish in it.
I have a 20 gallon I just need a stand. and other things that's what this thread is for lol.

Okay, then buy a stand, get the tank started and start looking at livestock you can keep in a 20 gallon, not livestock that you can keep in a 220 gallon.

But it is a GARUNTEE that I'm getting at least a 125 gallon tank

and the reason I asked and ask is because I can never make up my mind lol.
One day I swear i wan't a reef tank then a preadator then a 220 gallon insted of a 90 gal. so please go easy on me.

For now, focus on the 20g. The fish you put in the 20g probably won't do so well in some of the larger tanks, and definitely not in a predator tank, so just focus on setting up a sustainable 20g tank for now. Then, when you actually get the larger tank then you can start figuring out what you want to do with that tank. You can always have more than 1 tank, but how about focusing on just one at a time for now? I've already got stocking lists planned out for a 45g hex and a 38g, but those will happen down the road. For now, I'm just focusing on my 10g nano and my 90. In this hobby, going by a whim and changing your mind daily isn't going to work out so well. You need to be thoughtful and planful, or you are just going to lose a lot of fish and a lot of money! How about slowing down and taking it one tank at a time?!

For now, focus on the 20g. The fish you put in the 20g probably won't do so well in some of the larger tanks, and definitely not in a predator tank, so just focus on setting up a sustainable 20g tank for now. Then, when you actually get the larger tank then you can start figuring out what you want to do with that tank. You can always have more than 1 tank, but how about focusing on just one at a time for now? I've already got stocking lists planned out for a 45g hex and a 38g, but those will happen down the road. For now, I'm just focusing on my 10g nano and my 90. In this hobby, going by a whim and changing your mind daily isn't going to work out so well. You need to be thoughtful and planful, or you are just going to lose a lot of fish and a lot of money! How about slowing down and taking it one tank at a time?!
well I know what I wan't for my 20 gal. and I'm broke so I'm still waiting for the stand and supplies.

Seriously, do you even try to answer your questions before posting? You mention all these fish, for a 220 you're getting 6 months from now, and now it's a 125

You need a plan. This is an expensive hobby and you are dealing with living things. This is not something you can change your mind in each day

Seriously, do you even try to answer your questions before posting? You mention all these fish, for a 220 you're getting 6 months from now, and now it's a 125

You need a plan. This is an expensive hobby and you are dealing with living things. This is not something you can change your mind in each day
That's not what I ment. What I ment is if in the sircumstances that I cannot aquarire a 220 gallon tank I know for sure I can get the 125 gallon understand?

Last edited:
How are you sure you can get the 125? There have been many instances of the most well laid plans fall through. People lose jobs, need to fix houses, or cars. Nothing is 100% certain. So unless you have the 125 gallon tank, then don't get fish for the 125 gallon tank.

But what happens if suddenly you cant get the 125 gallon? We are not trying to burst your bubble, but just slow down a little.

Focus on the 20g, with 2 little fish and see how you can handle that. It would be good practice and get you used of water changes testing etc. Being impatient will kill you in this hobby, no lie.

Do you realize the huge difference between a 125 and a 220? You talk about croaks, do you have any clue what reef capable lighting for a 6 foot tank costs? How about one that's 30 inches deep like a 220?

Once again, you NEED a plan

well I know what I wan't for my 20 gal. and I'm broke so I'm still waiting for the stand and supplies.

The lighting for my 240 cost nearly $2,000. Stick with the 20 gallon tank. If you are too broke to afford a stand for a 20, then I wouldn't be counting on having a 220 reef tank set up by the end of the year. ;)

Back