What do I need to know about Sponges?

EliWhitney314

Phish Head
I was thinking about getting a few, and wanted to know any tips you guys can give me. I was reading about them and I found out that they can't be introduced to air, don't like really clean water conditions, should be fed with the powerhead off. Any other info you guys can give me for keeping them?

Particularly hardy reef sponges which are well suited for the novice and nervous include Callyspongia vaginalis (Lavender tube sponge, typically with Parazoanthus throughout the body wall), Chondrilla nucula (Chicken-liver sponge), Cliona delitrix (Red boring sponge), and Cinachyra kuekenthali (Orange ball sponge).

Well first, I'd suggest that you avoid allowing your water conditions to suffer. You will just need to supplement their feeding needs. I think you will have better success keeping your parameters up. As for the type, I agree that the blues are beautiful. I have some blue lace sponge in my tank and I have had not trouble keeping it healthy. I was dosing Phyto while I had a clam but otherwise they just feed on whatever I feed the tank. I feed a frozen blend that includes mysis and rotifiers, as well as a puree of inverts and other goodies. I just defrost it and shoot it into a powerhead with a syringe. I don't turn off my flow as everything stays suspended and gets eaten pretty quickly. I do this every 2 or 3 days. They have been pretty simple.

Well basically what the sites are saying is not to keep your tank in sterile conditions.

My biggest question is how can you transport them into your tank without getting outside water in.

Just put it in a small bucket and drip acclimate it. Once the bucket is nearly full, dump out some water and repeat. Then take the bucket(Tupperware) lower it into the tank. Let the sponge raise out of the bucket and just keep it under the water.

I've had tried to keep ornamental sponges quite a few times over the past 15 years,Never once was I successful and most succumbed to starvation or other factors.Regardless of what a website says,I consider all of them in the difficult to expert only range.Success for me is keeping something alive,healthy and growing for at least a year.

Be prepared to dose lots of micro-foods often.

I'm in the same boat as Reef on the sponges.I've never been able to keep one alive for any length of time.

Eli, here is mine. They do like it on the bottom, and not in direct light. Also, they feed off whatever they pick up in the water column. I dose phyto feast every couple days and mine is super happy.

IMG_1978.jpg

Come on Wade. We all know that sponge is just a piece of plastic. :mrgreen:

It's beautiful nonetheless. I am like reeffreak. I have tried about 1/2 dozen sponges and although they live for a few months they finally just wither away. They are beautiful and are stunning in the tank if you are lucky enough to be able to get them to live.

Come on Wade. We all know that sponge is just a piece of plastic. :mrgreen:

It's beautiful nonetheless. I am like reeffreak. I have tried about 1/2 dozen sponges and although they live for a few months they finally just wither away. They are beautiful and are stunning in the tank if you are lucky enough to be able to get them to live.
Quit telling all my secrets Dave, how do you think I get things to live in my tank?

Two things to remember about sponges. 1) They are excellent filter feeders. They will filter out particulates and excessive nutrients. 2) Never expose to air. They will never make it exposed to air.

Thats some awsome info guys i didnt know they shouldnt be allowed to be in air at all
Great tidbit.:Cheers::^::bounce::^:

Back